- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Michigan Environmental Council (MEC) is a coalition of more than 60 organizations with offices in Lansing and Detroit. Created in 1980 to lead Michigan’s environmental movement. MEC combines deep environmental policy expertise, close connections to state and federal decision-makers and relationships with broad alliances to achieve positive public policy solutions to our most challenging environmental issues.
Reporting to the Engagement Director, our Engagement Specialist for Detroit is a critical resource to help MEC connect with Michigan’s people and environmental organizations, and to improve the accessibility, relevance and impact of MEC’s policy expertise and strategy.
This position coordinates the Zero Waste Detroit coalition, staffing its advisory committee and executing its strategy plan which includes advocacy for recycling and composting programs, improving public awareness of sustainable solid waste practices and encouraging participation in recycling programs. This position also supports MEC’s Detroit engagement work including efforts in the Denby neighborhood focused on community service and leadership for high schoolers. Based in Detroit, a significant part of this role is providing direct assistance to the Engagement Director on a variety of organizational projects and priorities.
This is an entry level position where the employee will learn skills and gather experience in coalition management, leading to industry career options such as Engagement Director, Program Director and Policy Director.
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Coordinate the Zero Waste Detroit coalition, including development and implementation of its strategic plan and management of coalition meetings.
- Develop and strengthen creative partnerships, research and communications projects to advance MEC initiatives.
- Plan, develop and implement engagement strategies and tactics.
- Provide support to MEC’s functional and program staff, including event coordination, outreach, and communications.
Tactical Engagement Work
- Coordinate and manage relationships with the coalitions led by MEC, and related networks and projects includingsetting up meetings, creating agendas, taking minutes, and engaging with members.
- Assemble meetings agendas, background materials and schedule meetings and phone calls.
- Represent MEC and ZWD at select meetings and events, including through tabling, community forums, and small group and one-on-one meetings..
- Communicate with public officials, program partners, and other audiences.
- Assist in the coordination and development of programs to reinforce the connection of MEC’s programs through strategic outreach and partnerships.
- Two years’ experience in community organizing or other nonprofit work.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including public speaking, social media, and writing.
- Familiarity with Detroit’s neighborhoods.
- Strong interpersonal relationship and teamwork skills.
- A proven strong work-ethic and willingness to go the extra mile.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Google (GSuite)
- A degree in social work, cultural studies, communications or similar field.
- Some measure of Spanish language skills.
- Familiarity with recycling, environmental protection and environmental justice.
- Experience working with the professional media.
- Attention to detail and ability to manage and prioritizetasks from multiple administrators
- A network of friends and community leaders in the city of Detroit.
- Aptitude for and interest in community organizing, politics and/or public policy
- Professional demeanor, sense of humor and positive attitude.
Other Position Notes
- This position is based in Detroit and requires regular travel to Lansing.. Some telecommuting is possible.
- This position requires regular work outside normal hours, including evenings and weekends
- This position requires access to a vehicle and a clean driving record
MEC provides staff with an industry-leading compensation package. The Engagement Specialist position includes a salary of $26,000 - $39,000 commensurate with experience; full medical, dental and vision benefits; organizational matching to a 403(b) retirement program and unlimited paid time off. This position is also eligible for monthly performance bonuses to maximum of $13,000 annually.
Submit a single PDF with 1) a strong, detailed cover letter, 2) a resume, and 3) at least three references to email@example.com. Include “Detroit Engagement Specialist” in the subject line. Incomplete submissions will not be reviewed. Please direct questions about the job description to Engagement Director Sandra Turner-Handy at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application review will begin December 3 and continue until the position is filled.
- social media