- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- New York City
Meet American Express At The Grace Hopper Celebration
Are you looking to join an industry-leading technology and innovation organization? Whether you’re a student or an experienced professional, there are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Throughout the duration of the conference, members of our Technology community will showcase some of the innovative work going on at American Express and how you can become involved. We will be conducting interviews for a variety of roles across a range of disciplines.
Come and meet us at the 2019 Grace Hopper Celebration!
We’re looking for an Engineer to work on mobile applications that will be used by tens of millions of American Express cardholders around the world. We want someone with strong technical skills and creativity. Should enjoy solving tough problems and working with new technologies. You should not be shy about sharing your ideas, and be obsessive about user experience and beautiful code.
You’ll be part of the Mobile Engineering team whose mandate is to develop new products and platforms for American Express customers. Mobile Engineering’s aim is to build interactive experiences at all touch points of a consumer's journey whether before, at, or after the time of purchase.
You’ll be working in a fast-paced environment with the stability of working for a Fortune 100 company. Your primary responsibilities will be to work on a small team of engineers developing mobile products. You should be familiar with modern software development methodologies, and be able to dive deep and rapidly iterate on ideas despite ambiguity.
- Contribute to the design, architecture, and development of apps that are elegant, efficient, secure, highly available, and maintainable
- Works closely with other developers and end users to ensure technical compatibility and user satisfaction
- Contribute insights into ways to improve our processes and tools
- Be highly motivated and maintain a positive, “can-do” attitude in a fast moving environment
- Follow and help cultivate consistent development best practices
- Collaborates with project manager and other software developers to plan, design, develop, test, and maintain the iOS/Android applications
- Provides thought-leadership regarding implementation best practices
- Assists in estimation and assessment of feasibility of features
- Foster a collaborative spirit across multiple teams
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science/Engineering/Mathematics or 2+ years of equivalent experience in related disciplines and Android/iOS Development
- Knowledge of developing trends and emerging standards in mobile apps, mobile payments, and wearables
- Familiar with the whole software development life cycle (e.g. requirements, analysis, design, implementation, testing, and documentation) and - execution models (e.g. Waterfall, Agile, etc.)
- Good understanding of RESTful APIs and how to connect iOS applications to back-end services using asynchronous network calls
- Experience working with automated testing on the iOS/Android platform
- Familiar with Continuous Integration (CI) and its use in testing, building and deploying iOS apps
- Knowledge of the open-source iOS ecosystem and the libraries available for common tasks
- Experience with Auto Layout
- Understanding of code versioning using git
- Understanding of accessibility and security compliance
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Experience with UI animations a plus
- Experience with Swift and/or Functional programming is a plus
- Experience with payments technology is a plus
- Apps published in the Apple App Store is a plus
- Knowledge of developing trends and emerging standards in mobile apps (RxJava, MVP, Kotlin, etc), mobile payments, and wearables
- Familiar with the whole software development life cycle (e.g. requirements, analysis, design, implementation, testing, and documentation) and execution models (e.g. Waterfall, Agile, etc.)
- Great knowledge of Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices
- Good understanding of RESTful APIs and how to connect Android/iOS applications to back-end services
- Experience working with testing libraries like Espresso and Junit
Eligibility to work in US for American Express is required as the company will not be pursuing sponsorship for this position
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jul 12, 2019, 3:34:18 PM
About the company
We’re a company of inclusion—built on service, secured by trust and driven by forward thinking. For more than 160 years, we’ve helped our customers reach their goals. And today, as we continue to transform and lead the way in a digital universe, our goal is to reach more customers than ever—to serve the underserved and bring those in the financial margins into the mainstream.
As one of the world’s largest card issuers and most valued brands, we know the way we do business every day has the power to improve lives. We’re a company composed of individuals who understand and reflect the local communities and larger societies we serve. That’s why we’re focused on giving more customers more tools, more access and more ways to realize their dreams—knowing that those dreams look different in different parts of the world.