- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Executive AssistantDepartment: Dean of the College Date: 12/02/2019 POSITION VACANCYFounded in 1813, Colby is one of America’s most selective colleges. Serving only undergraduates, Colby’s rigorous academic program is rooted in deep exploration of ideas and close interaction with world-class faculty scholars. Students pursue intellectual passions, choosing among 58 majors or developing their own. Independent and collaborative research, study abroad, and internships offer robust opportunities to prepare students for postgraduate success. Colby is home to a community of 2,000 dedicated and diverse students from around the globe. Its Maine location provides easy access to world-class research institutions and civic engagement experiences.
In a period of fast-paced progress, Colby is building on its strong foundation while remaining committed to excellence, to supporting students and faculty at the highest levels, and to the College’s deep liberal arts traditions. This new chapter includes the creation of innovative academic initiatives and partnerships, strengthening the connections between the liberal arts and the professional world, revitalizing downtown Waterville, and pursuing significant capital projects for performing arts and athletics. Colby invites applicants to apply for the position of:
Office of the Dean of the College
Full-Time, Exempt, Salaried, Administrative Staff Appointment
The executive assistant to the dean of the college provides executive level assistance, oversees, and provides leadership for all functions of the Office of the Dean of the College. The successful candidate will perform diverse, responsible, and complex functions that require independent judgment. The executive assistant displays initiative and leadership in supervising and managing daily office activities including special events, projects, and programs. The individual will also provide oversight for all departmental functions to include planning, directing, and evaluating departmental operations. This position serves as a confidential resource and must project a positive and professional attitude and image while maintaining a high level of confidentiality and integrity. This exempt position requires a high degree of skill in communicating and interacting with students, parents and families, faculty, staff, trustees, alumni/ae, and the general community. The position also requires computer proficiency and the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines in a fast moving administrative office. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide executive assistance to the dean of the college, including drafting and managing correspondence and communications, scheduling appointments and overseeing calendar, coordinating travel arrangements, compiling various reports, maintenance of records and other documentation, project management, and coordinating special events
- Manage administrative professional operations and the office/departmental budget
- Conduct research and gather all necessary information for the dean of the college prior to meetings and events
- Track, anticipate, and prepare for upcoming deadlines, events, and agenda items
- Coordinate committee meetings, prepare agendas, and organize logistics and track tasks, projects and agenda items
- Serve as liaison and point of contact for the office, including providing guidance to departments reporting to the dean of the college
- Assume responsibility for a variety of special projects and programs related to the Office of the Dean of the College
- Coordinate work flow of office staff
- Select, hire, and train office personnel and/or student workers
- Participate in training and professional development sessions
- Prepare briefing points and materials for speeches, meetings, and presentations
- Protect confidential and sensitive information and use precise discretion when disseminating information
- Meticulously manage schedule, travel arrangements, and supervise events hosted by the dean of the college or department
- Provide/create an exceptional concierge type experience when dealing with senior administrators, faculty, staff, parents and families, community leaders, and visitors
- Share knowledge through training sessions with administrative professionals (AP) such as taking turns leading AP meetings
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in education and experience
- Minimum of five years of progressively high-level administrative experience
- Proven experience in budget preparation, monitoring and analyzing, records management, and development of administrative policies and procedures
- Deep knowledge of Colby’s mission and values or possess a directly related background
- Ability to handle extensive public contact with courtesy, tact, discretion, and judgment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Superior skills with Microsoft Office software and high comfort level with mobile technology including the ability to troubleshoot presentation issues
- Demonstrated willingness to engage in continuous learning
- Proven experience successfully leading complex projects through completion
- Supervisory skills to provide oversight and direction to professional staff and students
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills to manage multiple projects, as well as the flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities as new projects are assigned by the dean of the college
- Ability to function effectively under pressure; checks work to ensure accuracy and completeness; tracks and follows-up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in highly visible and important environment based on knowledge of the College and dean of the college’s interests and priorities
- Demonstrate outstanding planning and organizational skills including a mastery of efficient and responsive calendar management
- Ability to make an impact through work as a member of a team and diverse community
- Display balanced intellect that combines analysis, experience, and perspective in making decisions and providing information to others
- Ability to think critically and act logically to evaluate situations, solve problems, and make decisions
- Talent to identify and evaluate issues utilizing analysis and critical thinking skills; offer best solution/recommendation or action for resolution; think creatively, make decisions, visualize, and solve problems; develop and create ideas, processes, and approaches
This position has significant interaction with students, parents and families, faculty, staff, trustees, alumni/ae, and the general community.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
General open office and campus environment. Position involves sitting, although frequent movement is necessary. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary. The position will be a full-time, fiscal year, exempt appointment, with some evening and weekend work required throughout the year with those dates to be determined by the dean of the college’s calendar.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the "Apply Now" button on the Colby College website. Please submit a letter of interest including salary requirements, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Executive Assistant (Dean of the College) - Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855
If you experience difficulty uploading your documents, you may submit any .doc or .pdf materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not submit duplicate materials.
To apply electronically send to email@example.com. If you choose to apply electronically you do not need to send duplicate copies by U.S. Mail. If your electronic materials are unreadable we will notify you promptly.
A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Colby is a private, coeducational liberal arts college that admits students and makes employment decisions on the basis of the individual's qualifications to contribute to Colby's educational objectives and institutional needs. Colby College does not discriminate in its educational programs or employment on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, or military or veteran’s status. Colby is an equal opportunity employer and operates in accordance with federal and state laws regarding non-discrimination. Colby complies with Title IX, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in an institution’s education programs and activities. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to Colby’s Title IX coordinator or to the federal Office of Civil Rights. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our college.For more information about the College, please visit our web site: www.colby.edu.
- human resources
- ms project