- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Requisition ID: 213847
Bechtel has an open position for an Expatriate Tax Advisor located in our Houston, Texas office, reporting directly to the Global Expatriate Tax Director. As a member of the expatriate tax team, you will be part of a dynamic and collegial team of tax professionals. You will have the opportunity to work on a myriad of tax and global mobility issues involved with Bechtel’s international assignee and international business traveler programs. The role focuses on delivering proactive, high quality services to our business units, project teams and other stakeholders. You will be the subject matter expatriate tax expert for the America’s and APAC regions. This position is located at the Oil, Gas & Chemicals business unit headquarters near the Houston Galleria.
Bechtel is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer (AA/EOE).
Visit our Web site at www.bechtel.com for more Company information.
Responsible for the oversight and application of the tax programs and for the escalation of policy issues to management as they arise.
Periodic benchmarking reviews of tax policy provisions and communications with Corporate HR.
Upfront engagement with business units to review secondment arrangements and employment structure for regulatory compliance and tax cost containment measures.
Assist projects with supporting tax equalization costs for customer audits and inquiries.
Review assignee tax cost projections used in bids and run tax cost comparisons for localizations.
Leverage the tax services provider in the research of country-specific tax rules and filing requirements.
Analyze host country income and social security tax laws (and subsequent changes) and assist projects to understand the associated tax cost implications and policy considerations.
Provide ongoing support to employees on assignment.
Conduct risk management assessments to identify process improvement areas needed to develop tax compliant practices.
Oversee and direct the company’s designated tax services provider on the delivery of tax services to Bechtel employees working abroad and develop host country tax filing positions to improve compliance and achieve program efficiencies.
Liaise with our regional corporate tax team on project start-ups and cross-border tax matters.
Conduct periodic on-site project visits as needs arise.
Manage host country bi-lateral social security agreements and certificate of coverage applications and research host country social security laws to determine if contributions will provide future benefits to assignees.
Monitor international business travelers and review local tax laws and applicable tax treaties needed to assess taxability, fulfill local reporting obligations and to identify permanent establishment exposures.
Frequent advisor to other functions and services (e.g., Corporate HR and Finance, Global Mobility, Expatriate Payroll, and Immigration).
Assist with special project work when needed.
BASIC REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
4 years of expatriate tax experience with Big 4 accounting firm and/or industry mobility program.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
Must have the legal right to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Accounting experience and professional certification (e.g., CPA) is preferred.
- Strong technical knowledge of U.S. tax laws, concepts and practices as well as tax return experience with cross-border assignments.
- General understanding of other foreign tax regimes and ability to independently conduct research and interpret individual tax systems.
- Familiarity with international assignment tax policy mechanics and computations, interpretation of such policies, and communication of interpretations to assignees and business units;
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and SharePoint.
The successful candidate:
- Brings expatriate skills and experience plus strong business acumen with a strategic and proactive view.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Enthusiastic and customer service orientated.
- Will have excellent written and verbal communication skills at the business and technical level.
- Will be a strong team player with demonstrated leadership ability who is customer focused and has ability to communicate cross functionally.
- Will be
About the company
Is the largest construction and civil engineering company in the United States, ranking as the 4th-largest privately owned company in the United States.