- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Overview Every day is an opportunity for our associates to deeply connect with people in a profound and personal way. Our associates are the core of our mission and we know that offering them genuine rewards and heart filling job satisfaction is the key to our success as a company. Here you'll find opportunities to grow your career at any level whether you have direct contact with resident or support someone who does, and be inspired personally. With over 60,000 associates, there's a place for you to make a difference in lives of the families we serve throughout our continuum of care.
Responsibilities Directs food service operations within the community including all food preparation, dining room operations and dining delivery services. Purchases all food and manages inventory ensuring effective cost controls and vendor service and quality. Ensures the highest nutrition and food quality for the health and pleasure of the residents. Complies with all federal, state and local regulations to ensure sanitary and safe operations. Plans and executes entertaining dining events and themes in conjunction with Activities Director, Marketing Director and other administrative staff to optimize the life and pleasure of the residents. May also cater events as requested by residents or staff.
Experience as a Director of Dining Services is Required
CA CDM is Required
- Hires, trains and manages all supervisory staff for the kitchen, dining room, catering and delivery services. Ensures that supervisors maintain a safe and sanitary environment and provide a caring and pleasurable dining experience for the residents. Coaches supervisors in maintaining appropriate staffing levels and effectively motivating, disciplining and training associates.
- Consults with chefs and cooks to develop and maintain pleasing and nutritious menus. Assesses and determines the desires and preferences of the residents regarding food selection and presentation through surveys and daily contact with residents. Ensures preferences are incorporated into the menu and events. Understands the dietary needs of residents and coordinates with dieticians, nursing staff, and care associates to ensure proper selection, preparation and delivery of meals.
- Develops department budget including purchasing and staffing expenditures. Approves food orders from company or selected food vendors and ensures a proper level of inventory to meet demand and minimize cost and waste. Routinely monitors budget compliance and recommends changes as needed to maintain operational quality and resident satisfaction.
- Encourages the identification of enjoyable ways to encourage socialization and enjoyment of residents through the use of food presentation and events. Improves the décor and condition of dining rooms to ensure a safe and pleasant experience.
- Networks with Regional Food Service Directors to improve operations, reduce costs and to obtain new program ideas for creative operations.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Qualifications Education and Experience
College degree in food service or hospitality management is preferred. A minimum of eight years of progressive experience in the food service industry including at least three of those years in a responsible supervisory role of others preparing food and servicing customers. Experience to include management of food inventories and budgets.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Current ServSafe Certification required. Obtain/hold any local, state and/or county required food handling/sanitation licenses and/or certificates.
Applies existing guidelines and procedures to make varied decisions within a department. Uses sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems based on precedent, example, reasonableness or a combination of these. Ability to manage a large number of associates directly and through other supervisors to create a productive and motivated department.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has working knowledge of a functional discipline. Ability to address staff, residents and visitors in a courteous and friendly manner. Ability to understand the dining and nutritional needs of residents and ability to incorporate residents' desires into the dining services operation. Extensive knowledge of food preparation and delivery. Knowledgeable of all aspects of food service positions with food and beverage background. Ability to manage a food service operation budget providing 3 meals per day, 7 days a week to large numbers of residents and visitors. Extensive knowledge of federal, state and local regulations regarding the safety of food preparation and handling. Willingness to communicate perceived physical and emotional needs of residents to other skilled staff to assist with addressing their care needs.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Climb or balance
- Stoop, kneel, crouch crawl
- Talk or hear
- Taste or smell
- Ability to lift: up to 50 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases and infections
- Exposure to latex
- Possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens
- Possible exposure to various drugs, chemical, infectious, or biological hazards
- Subject to injury from falls, burns, odors, or cuts from equipment
- Requires Travel: Occasionally
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.
Schedule: Regular Full-Time