- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Position TypePermanent Staff (EHRA NF)DepartmentVC for Res-620100Working TitleExport Control OfficerAppointment TypeEHRA Non-FacultyPosition Posting CategoryResearch ProfessionalsSalary RangeCommensurate with experienceFull Time/Part Time?Full-Time PermanentHours per Week40Vacancy IDNF0004112Position ID20022723Posting Open Date11/08/2019Application DeadlineOpen Until FilledYesProposed Start Date01/06/2020Position SummaryThe University of North Carolina (UNC-CH) is seeking an experienced research professional for the position of Export Control Officer. This position is being created to provide the research enterprise with the support and expertise necessary to ensure compliance with U.S. export controls. Compliance with these complicated regulations is essential and therefore it is imperative that principal investigators and administrators have an expert resource to interpret the regulations, and provide strategic consultation and guidance.
The Export Control Officer will be responsible for the development, oversight, management and record keeping aspects of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s export control compliance program. The Export Control Officer will monitor the federal laws, rules and regulations that pertain to export controls and develop or revise, as needed, the UNC-CH policies and procedures, as well as the education and communication tools necessary to ensure compliance. The Export Control Officer may be appointed by the University as the Empowered Official and is expected to have the necessary understanding of export control laws and regulations to serve in this role if the University chooses to make this appointment. The Officer will serve as the primary point-of-contact with the respective government agencies for compliance with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) under the auspices of the U.S. Department of State; the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Commerce and the Office of Foreign Assets Controls (OFAC) regulations under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Treasury.
The Export Control Officer must be committed to advancing the highest standards of ethics, integrity and honesty, and to compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies governing research. He/she will work in partnership with principal investigators, administrators and institutional subject matter experts to promote best practices and ethical behavior. Additionally, this position will be expected to proactively maintain these standards by collaborating with institutional colleagues responsible for compliance implementation, anticipating risk and encouraging strong stewardship and management accountability at all levels. Candidates should have 5+ years of experience in implementation/oversight of an export control program in a major university or corporate environment; experience doing classification and jurisdiction determinations for technology, products, materials, equipment and software and knowledge of federal export control regulations including those pursuant to EAR, ITAR, OFAC, and National Security Decision Directive 189.
Educational RequirementsRelevant post-Baccalaureate degree required; for candidates demonstrating comparable independent research productivity or professional-level background in sponsored research administration, will accept a relevant undergraduate degree and 3 or more years of relevant experience in substitution. Master’s degree or higher is preferred.
Qualifications and Experience- Extensive experience in academic research, research administration and compliance; sponsored research and compliance experience in higher education.
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience in implementation/oversight of an export control program in a major university or corporate environment; experience doing classification and jurisdiction
determinations for technology, products, materials, equipment and software. Experience in filing formal export license applications with federal agencies desired.
- Initiative and positive, can?do mindset – Engaging with PI’s and staff with a motivational style to ensure compliance with US regulations and university policies while clearly supporting research initiatives.
- Extensive experience in technology or technical data classifications according to the federal regulations, and the submission and management of export and deemed export licenses is essential.
- Prior experience creating and implementing compliance strategies and technology control programs.
- Knowledge of federal export control regulations including those pursuant to EAR, ITAR, OFAC, and National Security Decision Directive 189.
- Excellent project management skills – ability to work with others to establish comprehensive strategies with appropriate objectives, metrics and execution schedules.
- Judgment and discretion – The ability to make effective decisions, problem solve and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Familiarity with the Automated Commercial Environment (ACE)/Automated Export System (AES) and Visual Compliance or similar export control software is highly desired.
Equal Opportunity Employer The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
Special InstructionsQuick Linkhttp://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/172420 Department Contact Information
Department Contact Name and TitleDepartment Contact Telephone or EmailOffice of Human Resources Contact InformationIf you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.
Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Supplemental QuestionsRequired fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select the response below that describes your level of education that best or mostly closely satisfies the education requirements for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in required discipline(s) listed or related field
- Bachelor's degree in any field/discipline
- Master's degree or Doctorate degree in required discipline(s) listed or related field
- Master's degree or Doctorate degree in any field/discipline
- None of the above
- human resources
- ms project