- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- CALIFORNIA US
Food Service Worker I- 4 Month Fixed-Term�Residential & Dining Enterprises, Stanford, California, United StatesNew�Food Services�1 day ago Post Date�85385 Requisition #
This position isrepresented by SEIU Local 2007 and the collective bargaining agreement betweenthe university and SEIU Local 2007 governs the terms and conditions ofemployment.
Anticipated Shift:The anticipated shift isbased on the operational needs and can change at any time with notice.
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY ANDRESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Stanford University, located between San Franciscoand San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world'sleading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanfordhas been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparingstudents for leadership in a complex world.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE),the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of theUniversity by providing the highest quality services to students and othermembers of the university community in a sustainable and fiscally responsiblemanner. R&DE comprises 800+ staff in the following divisions: Office of theSenior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing Operations, Stanford Dining,Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team offour R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administrationincluding Information Technology, Human Resources, Strategic Communications,and Maintenance Operations & Capital Projects. R&DE houses 13,000+ students andtheir dependents while serving over 6.5 million meals annually to students,conference, catering, retail, and concession guests.
ABOUT STANFORD HOSPITALITY &AUXILIARIES:
Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, a divisionwithin R&DE at Stanford University is committed to excellence and thehighest level of customer service. It is recognized nationally for operating at“the cutting edge” of the industry receiving exceptional service ratings andnumerous awards, including the Restaurant & Institutions Magazine Ivy Awardfor excellence in food service and hospitality. The Ivy Award is one of theindustry’s most prestigious and coveted awards, given to those operations thatmeet the highest standards of food, hospitality and service. With R&DE’svision “to be the best in the business” Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries isa Certified Green Business practicing sustainability in its purchasing and usingequipment and processes that reduce solid waste and preserve natural resources.The highest Acterra Sustainability Award was received in 2006, in recognitionof these initiatives.
I. Summary of Position TheFSWI Cashier at Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries will have an important role,and will be responsible for building and maintaining positive customer servicerelations; a variety of cashiering transactions and functions; and theorganization, cleanliness, and appearance of the cashiering station, and thesurrounding merchandise and food counters. As with all hospitality staff, thisposition is expected to adhere to customer service relations standards, workrules, departmental policies and procedures and performance standards.
II. Essential Job Functions
- Operates cashregister and POS systems with proficiency and accuracy
- Followsdepartment’s cash handling policy
- Follows R&DEcustomer service relations standards
- Provides awelcoming attitude for customers by greeting andsmiling at all customers, with a positive demeanor and attitude
- Listens,de-escalates and resolves basic customer problems
- Has a goodunderstanding of all the various merchandise, food and products sold at thecafé and market to respond to customer and or/vendorquestions
- Organizes andwipes down, sanitizes checkout areas and surrounding merchandise counters;
- Sweeps and mopsfloor, trash removal
- Communicatesproblems/issues to manager (operational and customer service)
- Ensures signageand pricing match and are correct; reports any discrepancy tomanager
- Notifiesimmediate supervisor of any errors in retail pricing or signage.
- Followsdepartment work rules, department and University Policies and Procedures,
- Follows healthand safety codes
- Demonstrates respectful and courteous behavior
- Regularattendance is required
- Supports otherHospitality units as needed
- Performs otherduties as assigned
III. QualificationsTheCustomer Service Representative/Cashier must have a High School Diploma orequivalent with a minimum of three years cashiering/retail experience in a highend retail environment that serves a diverse customer base. Candidate must haveexcellent customer service skills and be comfortable working with the public.
- Proficient cash handling and transactional skills
- Detail orientedand cash handling accuracy are essential
- Excellentcustomer service relations skills with the ability to cultivate a positiveretail experience for customers, staff, visitors and vendors
- Must demonstrate a “can do” attitude andfoster positive relationships
- Strong teamplayer as well as an individual contributor
- Strong technicalskills, ability to use cash register and POS systems proficiently
- Must haveproficient basic math to do simple math calculations
- Goodunderstanding of retail merchandises, pricing, product flow
- Excellent writtenand oral communications skills to ensure signage accuracy and communicate withcustomers, vendors and management with confidence
- Ability toresolve simple customer questions and/or complaints
IV. Physical Requirements GENERAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS Lightto medium work. Exerting up to 25-50 pounds of lifting force occasionallyand/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Subject to wetfloors, temperature extremes, and excessive noise. Position frequently involveslong hours and widely diverse duties. Must be able to bend, stoop and performextensive walking. Must be able to exert well-paced mobility to move quickly tothe different areas of the facility as service and production demands require.
Working ConditionsFrequency of Occurrence Extreme Temperature Changes10-30% Walking30-60% Standing50-80% Sitting10-20% Bending10-50% Squatting10-20% Hand and Finger Dexterity10-40% Reaching10-50% Climbing10-20% Noise90-100% Lifting, Carrying, Pushing, Pulling Up to 10 lbs. Up to 25 lbs. Up to 50 lbs. Over 50 lbs. 30-60%20-50%10-20%5-10% VI. English ProficiencyRequirements
Mustbe able to understand and communicate in English with adequate proficiency tofollow directions from supervisor, read and understand safety guidelines anddirections to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring, and communicateeffectively with customers (staff, visitors, students) by listening andspeaking clearly to them. Additional Information
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7285
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A60
- Requisition ID: 85385
- customer service
- human resources