- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for triage of referral cases from key business partners and daily research and analysis of irregular accounts and transactions for potential fraudulent activity. Through direct and indirect oversight from the Fraud Prevention Officer within the Corporate Security Department, the position partners with our Retail and Commercial Banking Operations, Debit Card Operations, Loss Prevention, Risk Review, Contact Center, Corporate Security Investigations and other key business units across the Bank. This position may exercise significant discretion in problem resolution and may serve as an experienced mentor for junior Fraud Prevention Specialists. Keeps detailed records of suspicious activity, performs trend analysis and communicates threats to Management with recommendations. The incumbent has back-end analytics tools and systems to research incidents related to DDA, ACH, wire, online, card, check, etc., and identify business areas requiring increased controls to protect from future fraud incidents.
Essential Job Functions
- Investigates and determines required action to prevent fraudulent financial transactions to mitigate loss to the Bank and its customers.
- Initiates and facilitates the documentation of event root cause process flows and propose relevant control or process changes/updates.
- Establishes procedures for reporting suspicious account activity, escalates increasing trends and fraud cases and recommends solutions to mitigate risk/loss.
- Researches suspect account activity and works with branch personnel, customers, investigations and other lines of business to validate suspect account activity and prevent losses.
- Oversees the preparation of/prepares reports and enters cases/incidents into the internal case management system; assign alerts, review and approve cases.
- Ensures case files are accurate and complete by performing quality assurance testing of case management system.
- Initiates and facilitates projects related to fraud detection, prevention or root cause analysis as assigned.
- Proactively reviews and monitors risk reports, alerts and/or logs to identity suspicious activity and escalate confirmed fraud activity to the appropriate stakeholders. Other Job Duties
- Leads and facilitates special projects as needed.
- Oversees standard and ad-hoc report development, maintenance, and deployment.
- Minimize the Banks' risk exposure in deposit operations, new accounts, Online Banking and other fraud prevention efforts by recommending best practices and creating new or optimizing existing processes.
- Communicates with internal and external customers on fraud and security issues, problem resolutions, and account information within time frames prescribed by regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience in credit underwriting, credit processing, or credit risk high desired.
- Requires 5 years minimum experience inpreventionand remediation of identity theft, synthetic id, payment fraud,preventionand remediation of identity theft, synthetic id, and payment fraud.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Understanding of analytical capabilities including (SAS, SQL, Splunk, Tableau, etc) and how to interpret analytics to deliver effective fraud mitigation.
- Demonstratedability to conduct and identify complex fraud cases and utilize link analysisto mitigate developing trends
- Thoroughunderstanding of credit reporting agencies and applicable compliancerequirements for credit cards.
- Exceptional understanding of consumer and commercial banking, online banking/mobile banking, loan processing and card services
- Knowledge of back-end systems supporting payment transactions, servicing products and operational procedures
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to make swift, sound judgments
- Ability to think out of the box and recommend feasible solutions under the circumstances.
- Exceptional documentation and process management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent inter-personal and partnering skills to facilitate effective working relationships.
- Able to adjust to a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong analytical, research and attention to details skills.
- Able to work independently and as part of team.
- Able to manage multiple tasks or projects.
- Self-starter who proactively seeks learning and development opportunities.
- Self-directed and results driven with demonstrated ability to capture and document the needs of the business.
- Strong technical skills and proficiency in launching applications and maneuvering in a Windows based environment. #LI-LH1
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.
About the company