- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Are you motivated by the thrill of working on global data projects, and love working in a fast-paced, forward-thinking environment?
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses by connecting people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services, experiences and goods. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you're ready to be part of Groupon.
Groupon is seeking a Data Scientist to support the Global Risk Management & Legal teams. This role will have an immediate impact on the success of our customers, merchants and Groupon as a whole through data support. The Data Scientist will own an internal Java tool and work with data on a global scale. You will also work with key partners around the world.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
- Own the maintenance and development of an internal Java tool and its supporting databases and data processes
- Work with cross-functional teams including Legal, Finance, Customer Service, Engineering, Marketing and Sales to drive new projects and improvements to existing initiatives
- Anticipate business needs via the development of new tools, models, analyses and reporting - as well as improving those already in place
- Debug technical failures in our data refresh processes and set up measures to prevent failures occurring in the future
- Quickly understand and complete ad hoc data requests from various business leaders within the organization
- Educate end-users on how to use tools and interpret data analyses
- Graduate/ Post Graduate degree in a quantitative subject such as Statistics, Mathematics or Computer Science - or minimum 2 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with Java, SQL (Teradata/AWS), Unix shell scripting and Excel/ VBA Development is required
- You must be confident and proficient at creating , editing and debugging SQL and Java code
- Experience with R, Python, Linux, SAS, Hadoop, ETL management and Data Visualization (Tableau) is preferred
- You have a practical and analytical thought process with an aptitude for solving problems creatively and independently
- You can learn and adapt quickly
- Project-based business knowledge - ability to diagnose and resolve simple to highly complex issues and manage change successfully
- Excellent organizational, time management and workload prioritization skills. You are able to work on many projects concurrently, delivering final results by hard deadlines
- Effective communication skills; strong ability to engage people across many disciplines, explaining complex concepts in layman’s terms (when appropriate). You can build and maintain useful relationships with key partners
- Ability to work independently with high-level direction from remote management
- You will work as part of a team in a coordinated, supportive and cooperative manner
About the company
Groupon is a global e-commerce marketplace connecting millions of subscribers with local merchants by offering activities, travel, goods and services in more than 45 countries. Groupon was launched in November 2008, and the first market for Groupon was Chicago, followed soon thereafter by Boston, New York City, and Toronto. By October 2010 Groupon served more than 150 markets[clarification needed] in North America and 100 markets in Europe, Asia, and South America, and had 35 million registered users. By the end of March 2015, Groupon served more than 500 markets worldwide, nearly 48.1 million active customers and featured more than 425,000 active deals globally