- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Job Title: HCOP Ambassador Tutors
Location: Atl Metropolitan State College
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 217811
Job Summary The Division of Science, Mathematics and Health Professions is responsible for leading, coordinating, and administering the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) and Health Professions education process the College students. Currently the Division, in partnership with Emory University School of Medicine, is seeking qualified five (5) HCOP Ambassador Tutor to join our team. The ideal candidates must be: dynamic, innovative, forward thinking and willing to embrace the Divisions’ student-centered vision.The HCOP initiative is a federally funded grant totaling $3.2M designed to provide undergraduate students from economically and/or educationally disadvantaged students an opportunity to develop the necessary skills needed for acceptance into Health Science (Medical Imaging, Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing etc.) professional programs. The HCOP Tutor report to the HCOP Principle Investigator and Co-Investigator.
Responsibilities The HCOP Turor will:
• Provide one-to-one and/or small group instruction, in-person or online, based upon each Health
Sciences student’s learning needs.
• Work with the Grant’s PI, Co-PI, HCOP Center Director and other Administrators to implement the HCOP Grant plans.
• Facilitate use of curriculum provided for the HCOP Administrators.
• Interact positively and professionally with students and staff to provide a safe and positive learning environment
• have demonstrated competency in the subject area in which they will tutor.
• possess an excellent academic background with college level math and science classes
• want to teach students and be willing to learn how to teach students;
• epitomize the word "flexible"
• thrive under pressure and exhibit the patience
• think creatively about everything; and, most importantly
• have a youthful attitude.
• Effectively develops and maintains a cohesive learning-inclusion and empowerment of HCOP Ambassadors.
• Attend AEW training sessions.
• Employ proven study guides/notes to prepare students for upcoming tests and quizzes.
• Ability to develop a positive rapport with the HCOP Ambassadors.
• Demonstrates mastery of course material.
• Demonstrates mature leadership ability.
• Maintains records of all tutorial sessions.
• Submits reports as required.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• You don't just need to be able to 'do' school or take tests well yourself; you must be able to help others 'do' school and take tests well, which is much harder than simply having a good knowledge of content.
Required Qualifications • High school diploma or equivalent and a grade of “A”or “B” in the STEM Course (Determined by the Grant PIs) that the candidate will facilitate. A STEM bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.
• Must be able to pass a background check.
• Able to work after school hours, nights, and/or weekends.
• Proven experience working with science students.
• Able to serve as a positive role model and mentor.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Understanding of subject matter relevant to students’need.
• Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel)
and tutoring programs.
• Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
• Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
• Required working hours may be mornings, mid afternoon and/or evenings Monday through
• Knowledge and use of the Socratic questioning method to help students develop their language and literacy skills
• Implement positive-reinforcement strategies that maximize learning, in a cheerful and authentic
• Have excellent reading, spelling, and comprehension skills
• Are proficient with basic computer skills and are able to type notes about student performance while leading engaging sessions
• Have a passion for helping others reach their potential