- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- North Lewisburg
Health Education Specialist
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like tobookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
Please see Special Instructions for more details.
WVSOM requires official transcripts of your highest degree earned and/or the degree in which qualifies you for the position. WVSOM requires these transcripts prior to an offer of employment, and we do recommend you send those to WVSOM once you have been selected for an interview. A transcript is official if it bears the authorizing signature and the official seal of the issuing institution and is sent directly by the school or college to the Office of Human Resources. Should your college or university provide this information electronically, we would ask that you submit that to Elayne Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org Posting Details
Position Information Job Category Position Title Health Education Specialist Working Title Pay Grade Unit/Division Scheduled Hours Per Week 37.5 hours FLSA Status Exempt Job Summary Job Description Summary The primary focus of this full time, one-year funded position is to advance strategic priorities of the WVSOM Center for Rural and Community Health (CRCH) related to population health improvement, with specific duties related to Community Health Education Resource Persons (CHERP) Community Health Worker (CHW) Program and additional education programs. Under the direction of CRCH Director of Education, the CRCH Health Education Specialist serves as a health promotion specialist and health educator for the CRCH.
This position is responsible for supporting, planning, and coordinating organizational activities including support of daily operations, and resource stewardship consistent with business and program objectives.
Position requires: a) planning, development, and presentation of customized health education and training programs; b) development, preparation, and delivery of curriculum c) development, evaluation, and modification of course curriculum and/or presentation materials; d) participation in development and marketing activities for programs; e) acquisition and application of knowledge of current and developing issues/trends in specified area of health education.
This position is a grant-funded position and as such is subject to the ongoing funding of the position. This position is also a full-time, non-classified position and is exempt from FLSA provisions regarding overtime. Minimum Base salary for this position is $40,000 with full state benefits. Not all activities of this position occur within the confines of an 8:00-4:30 schedule and may require evening and weekend scheduling. Some travel including overnight travel may be required.
This position has been designated as Essential. This means that when WVSOM is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover and continue operations at WVSOM.
The West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to enhancing diversity among its faculty and staff. Education/Knowledge Minimum Education Master's Required Licenses/Certification Master’s degree preferred though would accept a combination of education and experience.
Valid Driver’s License is Required
- Knowledge of theories, principles, goals, and objectives of population health and health education and prevention programs;
- Experience working in a higher education environment;
- Ability to produce graphic designs/artistic educational material;
- Knowledge of community health services and agencies;
- Knowledge of health education programs, policies and trends;
- Ability to effectively interpret needs and act as an advocate for a specified client population;
- Ability to conduct literature searches;
- Review, rewrite, and edit the work of others;
- Strong and effective oral, written, presentation, and editorial skills;
- Knowledge of Moodle LMS, MS Office Suite: Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, Excel, and other media;
- Ability to deliver quality educational programs, including direct teaching;
- Problem-solving skills;
- Public speaking skills;
- Ability to participate in professional development;
- Local, statewide, and national travel required. Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for coordination of CRCH MOMs Project contract and SOR Wellness Coalition Project.
- Assist the Executive Director, Assistant Director and Director of Education of the CRCH in the execution of operations and programming related to the CRCH strategic plan.
- Evaluate, design, present, and disseminate culturally appropriate health education information and materials.
- Assist with organization, planning, implementation, evaluation, and coordination of functions hosted by the CRCH, such as workshops, conferences, trainings, health fairs, community events, and other outreach programming.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals, groups, and entities, including local, state, national and federal organizations, community members, students, faculty, and other WVSOM and CRCH stakeholders.
- Assist in the promotion and marketing of all CRCH activities for community and stakeholders.
- Ability to research databases, extract information from agency websites, and interpret or summarize information;
- Build and maintain a working network with health care and social service providers in West Virginia in support of the CHERP program or other related programs.
- Assist to cultivate health education programming and trainings to increase nationally recommended skills sets and competencies for the CHERP program.
- Prepare templates for the training materials, workbooks, and resources for the on-line and in-person CHERP training program.
- Formulate and revise testing materials for CHERP training programs.
- Develop, collect, format, and post resources for the CHERP project on CRCH website.
- Travel to statewide community sites to implement CHERP or other related trainings for community members and stakeholders.
- Assist in data collection, analysis, and interpretation regarding CHERP training and program effectiveness.
- Collaborate with the CHERP faculty advisor and staff on CHERP program and other related programs and initiatives.
- Prioritize and respond timely and appropriately to requests for technical assistance and analytic/policy support related to CRCH’s strategic plan
- Perform the duties of this position within a general office environment, although travel up to 40% of the time, as well as telecommuting will be required. Sitting for long periods, standing and lifting may be necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
About the company