- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- San Jose
Do you have experience in benefits administration? Or maybe you are an adaptable individual who enjoys a fast-paced, high interaction environment in Benefits? We are looking for smart, hardworking, and organized human resources professionals. Check out this opportunity!
Benefits Administration Program (Position Code LT007 - LIMITED TERM POSITION)
NOTE:Valley Water Employees Are Not Eligible to Apply
Human Resources Technician I:
$6,052.80 - $7,746.27
Human Resources Technician II:
$6,683.73 - $8,552.27
Key Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to:
Assist with the benefit administration clerical responsibilities (preparation of new hire orientations, support of Wellness Program activities and events, organizing, copying, and filing documents and employee records) while also providing customer services to employees, managers and retirees who contact Benefits via phone calls, emails and/or walk-ins. They will also be assisting Benefits staff with various HRIS tasks (calculating, processing and verifying employee payroll transactions for bi-weekly data entry). Ability to multi-task, anticipate needs and complete tasks while providing exceptional customer service is key. Running reports, compiling/verifying data and ensuring data integrity will also be an integral part of this role.
Ideal Candidate's Background includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria as listed below.
Human Resources Technician I:
Four (4) years providing administrative support involving the use of database(s)
Human Resources Technician II:
Three (3) years of experience completing human resource transactions involving databases and/or administering human resource programs, such as benefits administration, payroll processing and recruitment.
Ideal Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Organizational and problem-solving skills, with proven research capabilities.
- Excellent judgment in responding to benefits related requests.
- Tech savvy with demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records with impeccable attention to detail.
- Must have exceptional customer service skills and be a team player willing to assist wherever there is a need.
- Adaptability when dealing with varying situations, with the ability to develop strong working/professional relationships with managers and staff throughout Valley Water.
- Proficient in MS Office Skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive matters, exercising considerable judgment and discretion and professionalism.
- Knowledge of HRIS databases, Human Resources and Payroll principles, pertinent labor laws and exposure to MOUs is ideal.
Ideal Training / Education:
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Licenses or Certificates:
HR Certifications are highly desirable.
LIMITED TERM POSITION:
The assignment period will be one to two years and such time period may be adjusted as needed by Valley Water management. These limited term appointments are "at-will" and may be terminated at any time with or without cause. Limited term positions will be covered by the Employees Association Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and eligible for all pay and benefits described in the MOU with the exception of the following Articles and/or Sections:
a. Article 3, Section 10: Temporary Promotion Pay
b. Article 3, Section 11: Out-of-Class Assignment
c. Article 6, Section 4(d): Deferred Compensation.(Limited term positions may participate in Valley Water's 457 deferred compensation program however they will be ineligible for District matching funds and participation in Valley Water's401a plan.)
d. Article 8: Leaves of Absence.(Valley Water will provide leave of absence as required by law under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), California Family Rights Act (CFRA) and Pregnancy Disability Leave (PDL))
e. Article 11: Workforce Development
f. Article 12: Employee Performance/Evaluation
g. Article 13: Classification
h. Article 14: Discipline Process
i. Article 16: Layoff
Employees hired to fill a limited term position will be precluded from applying for other positions, participating in Valley Water's rotation program and/or requesting an internal transfer or voluntary reassignment at Valley Water's and shall be required to sign a written acknowledgement of limited term employment.
License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license. Individuals who do not meet the driver's license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
To review the Classification Specification, please click here
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following:application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above.Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE:Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities.Please advise the Office of Talent and Inclusion in advance of any special needs by calling 1-408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned.The Office of Talent and Inclusion staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.