- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- New York City
At Stony Brook Medicine, a TH Instructional Support Assistant is a valuable member of our team, who provides administrative support and has the ability to interface with all levels of management throughout the hospital.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a TH Instructional Support Assistant in the Non-Invasive Cardiology may include the following but are not limited to:
Brief Description of Duties:
- Patient Intake/InsuranceVerification: Note patient arrival and indicate in Cerner; determine ifHospital registration is required; have the patient complete all necessarypaperwork; photocopy all appropriate insurance documentation; obtain authorizationfor the patient's test(s).
- Scheduling: Schedule inpatient and outpatient hospital testing; schedule follow-up clinic appointments for patients in Cerner; give patients necessary instructions for their hospital ordered test(s); advise patients on the need for authorization/pre-certification; copy all scripts that are given to the patient; follow up on "no-show" patients
- Billing: Havepatients complete all of the appropriate billing forms; photocopy patient'sinsurance cards/forms; collect co-payments, issue a receipt to the patient andlog collections; collect deposits from self-pay patients; obtain referralsand/or authorization in advance of the patient's appointment; post all cashreceipts in Cerner and prepare co-pays for pick-up; serve as liaison to theDepartment of Medicine.
- Administrative: Support secretary functions as it relates to obtaining orders from physiciansand respond to inquiries as necessary. Greet patients and answer telephonesin assigned area and assist callers and direct calls as appropriate. Helpcall response for the department. Provide in-service training forusers. Maintain the day to day operation of Cerner performanceworkflow.
- Call Center: Manage appointment schedules and patient flow. Connect patient to Navigators/Financial Counselors to assist with financial concerns or inability to pay. Ensure accurate and timely information exchange with clinical staff. Act as a liaison between patients and other areas to ensure optimal flow and service delivery. Facilitate collaboration with all hospital and Heart Institute personnel and community hospitals.
- General ClericalDuties: Schedule clinic (new patients and follow-ups) and testingappointments; mail new patient packets; take messages for physicians whennecessary. Call patients to confirm their appointment. Ensuretimely and complete capture of reports. Faxing, collating and reconcilingreports. Maintain all records and patient’s files in accordance withhospital and regulatory standards.
- Coverage: Providecoverage for the Heart Institute reception desk and our Tech Park, Hauppaugeand Electrophysiology/HSC offices.
- All other duties asassigned.
This position willrequire the selected candidate to work weekends, holidays on a rotating basisand travel to our Hauppauge, Tech Park and HSC offices.
Required Qualifications: Associates Degree or, in lieu of degree, a high school diploma with three years ofadministrative responsibilities in a healthcare setting. Computer and MicrosoftOffice Suite experience. Experience working with Cerner EMR. Insurance authorization and patient scheduling experience. Strong written and verbal communication.
Preferred Qualifications: Cardiology practice andNon-Invasive Cardiology testing experience. Strong organizational skills. Strong problemsolving abilities.
Special Notes: This position will remain posted until filled or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants will occur two weeks from the posting date. For full consideration, applications must be received before the initial review date (which is within two weeks of the posting date). If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill the position posted, additional applications will be considered for the posted position; however, the posting will close once a finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial posting date.
Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Shift: Day Shift
Posting Start Date: Dec 2, 2019
Posting End Date: Mar 1, 2020, 10:59:00 PM
- call center