- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
The University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Instructor, Nursing.
Position Details LocationHattiesburg
118 College Drive
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 39406-0001
United States DivisionSchool of Professional Nursing Practice Position TypeFaculty Employment StatusFull Time Grant FundedNo Posting Close DateOpen Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
The University of Southern Mississippi invites applicants for full-time instructor positions for the 2020-2021 academic year in the College of Nursing and Health Professions in the School of Professional Nursing Practice. Qualified applicants with practice experience in a specialty area of nursing (including, but not limited to, adult health nursing, psychiatric nursing, pediatric nursing) are welcome to apply.
Instructors facilitate students’ achievement of course objectives and prepare students to master skill sets that facilitate progression throughout the nursing program of study. Instructors work closely with the course clinical coordinator and program coordinator to ensure that the standards and quality of the nursing curricula are met and maintained.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Teaches courses assigned and adheres to clinical and class schedules
2. Communicates any concerns or issues with the course coordinator, program coordinator or school director
3. Follows the policies and procedures of the clinical site, the University, the College of Nursing and Health Professions, and the School of Professional Nursing Practice
4. Submits course specific documentation as scheduled
5. Communicates course requirements to students
6. Maintains office hours to assure availability to assigned students for support including but not limited to exam review, required remediation, and summative evaluations.
7. Collaborates with the course coordinator to plan, implement and evaluate each assigned course to maintain quality and effectiveness.
8. Attends scheduled meetings prior to the course orientation with the school director and/or program coordinator and/or course coordinator and other faculty teaching in the course.
9. Participates in service opportunities that impact the university community, professional community, and/or local community
10. Participates in the shared governance of the University, college, and school through various opportunities for engagement on campus
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum QualificationsThe faculty member is expected to be a competent practitioner of nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing degree is required
- Current unencumbered Mississippi RN license is required
- Criminal history and background check clearance is required
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) or PhD in nursing or closely related area preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Evidence of current American Heart Association CPR training
- Evidence of yearly tuberculin skin tests and other required immunizations as per nursing program policy and/or agency requirements.
- Evidence of ten continuing education units annually
- Be familiar and comply with clinical agency policies and procedures. Complete all required clinical agency training including; but, not limited to electronic health records, HIPAA, medication administration, POC Glucose training and an agency orientation.
- Uphold the mission and values of the USM College of Nursing and Health Professions.
Direct and/or indirect clinical supervision of students enrolled in nursing programs required.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites in central and southern Mississippi, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 130 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and sport venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 40 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of approximately 15,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 36 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 24 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.
- safety and security