- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Eastman is a global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With the purpose of enhancing the quality of life in a material way, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. The company’s innovation-driven growth model takes advantage of world-class technology platforms, deep customer engagement, and differentiated application development to grow its leading positions in attractive end-markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. As a globally inclusive and diverse company, Eastman employs approximately 14,500 people around the world and serves customers in more than 100 countries. The company had 2018 revenues of approximately $10 billion and is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA. For more information, visitwww.eastman.com.
GC/Instrumental analysis technician in a QC lab supporting continuous operation units for a specialty chemical plant. This job provides opportunities to develop/modify test methods, to investigate customer inquiries/complaints related to Pace products, to characterize chemical process streams, and to develop/maintain process analyzers. The Laboratory Technician will be required to work shift work, holidays and overtime as needed. This position reports to the Lab Manager.
- Provide support for routine process streams, finished product and environmental stream analysis by performing a variety of analytical functions ranging from simple chemical/physical testing to programming and operating more high-tech instrumentation.
- Understand the following equipment;
- GC, GC-MS, and HPLC chromatographs (Agilent-based hardware)
- UV/VIS spectrophotometer
- Atomic absorption spectrophotometer
- Total organic/inorganic carbon analyzer
- Total nitrogen analyzer
- Moisture analyzer
- Kjeldahl Rapid Still and environmental test methods
- Potentiometric and colorimetric titrations
- Process inline/online instrument analyzers
- Calibrate instruments and prepare standard solutions and reagents.
- Maintain/modify specialized GC sampling systems.
- Ability to diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve/repair analytical problems with methods and/or equipment.
- Ability to interpret analytical results and provide statistical analysis information derived from a computing database system. This includes but is not limited to precision and accuracy statements for analytical methods and statistical quality control information of final product analysis.
- Some manual labor and lifting will be required. Examples include:
- Handling gas cylinders
- Handling 1-5 gallon carboys
- Understand and model safe work practices at all times
- Perform safety and quality inspections as required
Coordinate sample collection, packaging, and shipmentin accordance with DOT and IATA guidelines.
- Laboratory Technician Qualified with 51 credit hours as described below is required
- 3 years’ lab experience required. Industrial experience preferred
- Strong analytical and trouble shooting ability
- Initiative and the ability to work in a team setting
- Clear and effective written and oral communication is essential
- Experience with conducting lab analysis, with maintaining databases, with troubleshooting and performing maintenance on lab equipment, with chromatography science, and with laboratory information management systems (LIMS).
- Competent in MS-Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook
Chemistry: 23 hours
- General Chem I & II w/labs
- Quantitative Analysis w/lab (can be taken within 1 year of employment if lacking)
- Organic Chemistry I & II w/labs
Examples of other science courses to meet the 23hours of chemistry include:
Biochemistry, Qualitative Analysis, Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Instrument Analysis, Chemical Calculations, Environmental Analysis, Seminar in Chemistry, Chemical Research, Advanced Chemistry, Organic Synthesis, and Chemical Engineering courses.
Physics/Science: 4 hours. Mechanics Heat, Sound, Light, Electricity & Magnetism, Introductory Physics, General Physics, Biology, General Science
Math: 3 hours. College Algebra, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Statistics, Math for Engineering Technologies
English: 6 hours. English Composition, Speech & Listening, Technical Report Writing, Grammar, Oral & Written Composition
Electives: 15 hours. Any course carrying college level credit except the following: Military Science, Freshman Orientation, Physical Education, Music, Health
Eastman Chemical Company is an equal opportunity employer.All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran