- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- New York City
Lead Data Scientist - 90190744
Primary Location:US-New York-745 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY
Posting Range:4 Dec 2018 - Ongoing
Barclays is an international financial services provider engaged in personal banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking and wealth management with an extensive presence in Europe, the Americas, Africa and Asia. Barclays’ purpose is to help people achieve their ambitions – in the right way. With over 300 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 50 countries and employs approximately 135,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide.
For further information about Barclays, please visit our website www.barclays.com.
Barclays offers investment banking products and services in the US through Barclays Capital Inc.
Barclays Values and Diversity
Our common purpose is to help people achieve their ambitions – in the right way. We’ll measure and reward our people, not just on commercial results, but on how they live our Values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship and bring them to life every day. To find out more about working at Barclays and the development opportunities we offer please visit our website www.barclays.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.
It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
Overall Purpose of the Role
We’re looking for people interested in working in a quickly-changing environment where they can help define their role.
Main duties and responsibilities
In this position, you’ll:
· Coordinate with stakeholders to do high-impact analyses and build products in collaboration with a research specialist, and with support from engineering
· Turn stakeholder discussions into project ideas, and help plan and prioritize their execution
· Lead roadmapping and planning data projects
· Plan and help execute development and exploration of new and existing datasets for application to investment research, with support from the rest of the data team
· Evaluate data sources and providers for reliability, quality, and usefulness
· Present analyses to stakeholders in research and product
· Help turn models and analyses into data-driven products where your focus can shift more or less toward each of these points depending on your strengths!
· PhD, MS, or 3+ years experience in computer science, applied mathematics, or other quantitative/computational discipline.
· Experience with building data products and participation in sprint-based agile development
· 3+ years experience with open source machine learning or statistical analysis tools
· 3+ years coding experience, Python preferred.
· 2+ years experience using standard development tools, including Git and JIRA (or similar)
· Experience mentoring colleagues in data science, including problem-solving and pair-coding
· Data engineering experience, including SQL and manipulating large structured or unstructured datasets for analysis.
· Advanced undergraduate or higher coursework in Statistics or Probability Theory as well as Linear Algebra
· Ability to communicate complex ideas to a non-technical audience.
· A preference for using fast, simple approaches over complex approaches to hard problems
· Eagerness to develop a culture around alternative data sources
· The ability to establish new workflows for new
About the company
Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for 48 million customers and clients worldwide.
We have over 325 years of history and expertise in banking. From our beginnings in Lombard Street, London through to the launch of the world’s first ATM and innovative mobile phone payments services, find out more about our achievements to date.
Barclays is a trading name of Barclays Bank PLC and its subsidiaries. Barclays Bank PLC is registered in England and is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Registered in England. Registered No. 1026167. Registered office: 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP.