- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
Boeing Defense, Space, and Security is seekingLead Mechanical Engineer (Level 4) to design, integrate and maintain electro-optical systems for the Research Advance Space Superiority Technology and Engineering (RASTER) Program. This position will work alongside the lead optical engineer, lead systems engineer, and the customer to establish requirements, design, procure, assemble, test and maintain various mechanical and electro-optical systems such as lenses, telescopes, visible and infrared sensor systems. This position is located at the Maui Space Surveillance Complex in Haleakala, Hawaii.
**This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility. Basic relocation is available for internal candidates.**
- Modernization and upgrades of large hydraulic systems
- Design engineering support for special test equipment and lifting fixtures to support mirror recoating operations
- Manage subcontract for large mechanical projects
- First level trouble shooting in response to emergency maintenance requests.
- Directs the development and documentation of large scale, complex mechanical and fluid system and thermal environment requirements to establish the system design.
- Develops new design/analysis processes and tools to improve effectiveness, quality and efficiency of the development effort.
- Investigates emerging technologies to develop concepts for future product designs to meet projected requirements.
- Serves as technical consultant for disposition, corrective actions and coordination with cross-functional groups to identify/implement solutions and drive strategic improvements relative to production processes.
- Coaches and mentors others.
- Works above 10,000 feet ASL.
- Works under consultative direction.
This position requires an active U.S. Security Clearance, for which the U.S. Government requires U.S. Citizenship. (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active).
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience):
- Experience working with CAD systems such as Solid Works or Inventor.
- Experience working with ANSI Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) using program such as NASTRAN or ANSYS.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills and Experience):
- Experience with Expertise in large scale hydraulic systems design
- Experience working with optical systems, telescopes/domes.
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years' related work experience, Master+7 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
About the company
As we enter our second century, Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.