- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary $12.72 - $15.46 gross per hour
- Santa Fe Springs
This recruitment will remain open until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received and may close without notice.
The City of Santa Fe Springs seeks applicants for the position of Library Services Aide. This position performs entry level duties for Library Services programs and events; assists the public and library personnel. This is an hourly, at-will non-benefited position working approximately 20-25 hours per week on a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays.
Library Services Division: The Library Services Division of the Community Services Department is responsible for the development, implementation, and planning of cultural and educational events and programs. Library events include our award-winning First Friday cultural event series, an annual Great Gatsby night for local students, holiday programs, a Summer Reading program for all ages, and other cultural events. Library Services is also responsible for the educational component at the City's Heritage Park. Incumbent will be placed as needed at any of the following locations: Santa Fe Springs Library, Heritage Park, or William C. Gordon Learning Center.
Library Services Business Hours:
Monday - Thursday, 8:00am - 8:00pm.
Friday, 9:00am - 6:00pm.
Saturday, 8:30am - 5:00pm.
Under direct supervision, performs entry level duties for Library Services programs and events; assists the public and library personnel.
Receives supervision from higher-level staff.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. Held in Common:
- Supports the Mission of the City and its Elected and Appointed Officials.
- Exhibits loyalty to the City and its representatives.
- Provides courteous and timely service to the public as the ultimate employer.
- Works cooperatively with other City employees.
- Exhibits integrity and displays ethical behavior.
B. Essential Job Specific Duties:
- Provides customer service to the general public.
- May assist students in homework help or provide reading club tutoring.
- Provides assistance at various events and programs to staff and/or patrons.
- May provide guidance to individuals in the use of computer applications at the public access computers.
- Assists in opening and closing Heritage Park Carriage Barn (museum facility).
- Answers phones, operates and balances out cash register, and assists in the gift shop at Heritage Park Carriage Barn.
- Provides general information to visitors at the Museum and Library.
- May assist in leading group tours for visiting schools and community groups.
- Assists with setting up activities at the Museum and Library.
- Shelves books and materials accurately and efficiently in the Library; straightens library materials.
- Performs related duties as required.
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
REPRESENTATIVE COMPETENCIES AND QUALIFICATIONS:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required to satisfactorily perform the jobs essential duties and responsibilities.
Knowledge of: Departmental policies and procedures. Customer service practices. Alphabetical and numerical order. Basic computer use, including keyboard and mouse.
Ability to: Learn the Dewey Decimal System. Sort and file alphabetically and numerically. Deal with the public in a courteous and respectful manner. Understand and follow written and oral instructions. Communicate effectively. Operate and use modern office equipment. Effectively organize and prioritize assigned work. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other people.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The following requirements generally demonstrate possession of the minimum requisite knowledge and ability necessary to perform the duties of the position. A typical way to obtain these would be:
- High School Diploma or an equivalent certificate or diploma recognized by the State of California.
- A minimum of six (6) months of customer service experience working with the general public; some experience as a Library Page and working with children preferred.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE:
Possession of a valid California Driver's Licenseis required.
Relatives may be appointed regardless of the designation of full or part-time classification. Candidates with relatives employed by the City will be excluded from applying for a vacancy if one or more of the following criteria exist: 1) The appointment of a relative would place one in a supervisory capacity directly over the other 2) The appointment would create a situation in which it is conceivable personal gain for one could be obtained by the actions of the other 3) The appointment would create a situation where performance or non-performance of either would have a direct effect upon the performance of the other 4) The appointment would create a situation where the confidentiality of either could be compromised. Candidates with relatives employed by the City will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. "Relative" shall be defined as: mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, grandchild, spouse, domestic partner, step mother, step-father, step-sister, step-brother, stepchild and step grandchild.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters in performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work is performed indoors and outdoors.
- Noise level is quiet to moderate.
- Hazards are minimal.
- Work a flexible schedule that may include nights and weekends.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Stand, sit, and walk.
- Bend and kneel to reach books on floor level shelves.
- Lift arm to reach overhead to shelve materials weighing up to three pounds.
- Perform continuous repetitive hand, arm and body movements, including lifting books on a continuous basis for up to an hour at a time.
- Push, pull, and reach overhead and above shoulders.
- See well enough to read documents and operate office equipment.
- Push a wheeled cart.
- Lift and move up to 25 pounds.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants are required to complete and submit a City Application online. Resumes or faxed copies will not be accepted in lieu of the City online application. To apply, click on the "Apply" link located at the top of this page. New users must first create an account first.
METHOD OF SELECTION:
Selection may be based upon an application review, a performance examination and evaluation, and a structured interview. Appointment will be contingent upon a criminal record check and physical examination, including a drug screen.
If you require special testing and/or interview accommodation due to a physical, mental, or learning disability, please call the Human Resources Office at (562) 409-7530 at least 5 days prior to the scheduled date.