- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- Saint Paul
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
JOB DESCRIPTION:Job Summary:
Sets up, adjusts and operates standard and special types of machine tools to perform diversified machining operations on work having close tolerance and finish specifications. Takes initiative to ensure work is done accurately and completely. Performs assignments of moderate complexity. Applies existing work methods to different known situations. Problems involve recurring, routine situations; usually refers more complex problems to supervisor or more senior level personnel within organization.
- When not predetermined or prescribed, plans operational sequences, selects tooling, spindle speeds, tool feed rates, attachments, work supports, etc., to suit work and material characteristics for setups.
- Positions, aligns and secures work between centers, on table or bed of machine using care to block and support parts to avoid distortion or tool deflection affecting dimensional specifications; orients tool to reference point and correlates integral table or tool head calibrating devices to the different steps of dimensionally related machining locations and cutting conditions.
- Calculate and sets machine controls to position tools in relationship to workpiece and to regulate factors such as cutting depth, speed, feed, and coolant flow.
- Assembles cutting tools in tool holder and positions tool holders in machine magazines.
- Verifies that machine setup meets acceptable quality standards regarding operating sketches and customer prints.
- Performs a variety of turning, drilling, boring, or related operations to close and interrelated tolerance.
- Cleans and maintains machines and sharpens tools as required.
- May set-up/utilize special test equipment.
- Notifies supervisor of the need to replenish supplies/materials and of any technical difficulties that cannot be readily corrected
- Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
- Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments.
- Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- AA degree in Mechanical Technology, equivalent trade school/military training, or comparable related experience in biomedical field is desired.
- Typically a minimum of four or more years of relevant manual and CNC machining experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the job, including the ability to set up and operate specialized and sophisticated machining equipment.
- Requires the demonstrated ability to read moderately complex blueprints as well as the ability to use, operate and apply a range of precision inspection instruments and devices, e.g., micrometers, calipers, height gages, etc.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication, interpersonal, organizational and basic math skills.
- Must maintain an acceptable level of proficiency in all process certifications.
- Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross-division business unit model preferred.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
- Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
- Multitasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to travel approximately 10%, including internationally.
- Ability to maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Occasional overtime is a requirement of this position.
JOB FAMILY:Facilities & Maintenance
DIVISION:SH Structural Heart
LOCATION:United States Minnesota St. Paul Woodridge : 177 East County Rd B
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive h
About the company
At Abbott, we're committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 94,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and www.facebook.com/AbbottCareers, on Instagram @AbbottGlobal, and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
We invite you to explore opportunities at Abbott, to see if your talents and career aspirations may fit with our openings. An equal opportunity employer, Abbott welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.