- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
1. Perform basic landscaping and utility work including cleaning, pressure washing, mowing, planting, and other similar duties.
2. Assist as needed to clean and maintain City streets, sidewalks, pathways, and right?of?ways including street cleaning, pavement patching, concrete forming/finishing, sanding, and trimming and removing trees and vegetation. May use and operate flagging equipment to control traffic in vicinity of public works crews.
3. Perform janitorial responsibilities in the assigned areas on a daily/weekly basis including the use of cleaning supplies, solutions, and tools.
4. Perform as part of a crew or independently in maintenance, repair and facility systems. Required activities include digging, cleaning, minor repair of buildings and facilities, basic ground keeping, janitorial maintenance, and other semi-skilled and unskilled tasks.
5. Assist with various special event tasks such as hanging banners, setting up and taking down holiday decorations, etc.
6. Operate vehicles of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, gravel, bark and sand. Operate tractors, mowers and loaders as assigned.
7. Operate a variety of power construction and maintenance equipment used in water, sewer, storm, streets and facilities maintenance activities. Operates mowers, power tools, brooms, hoses and pressure washers, paint, cleaning products and other tools as required by task.
8. Perform all duties in conformance with appropriate safety and security standards.
9. Perform other projects, functions, and tasks, as assigned.
Auxiliary Duties: Provide assistance to other staff as workload and staffing levels dictate. Maintain proficiency by attending training and meetings, reading materials, and meeting with others in areas of responsibility. Maintain work areas in a clean and orderly manner. Typical Qualifications Knowledge of: General knowledge of the proper operation and maintenance of vehicles, tools and equipment, practices, methods, hazards and safety precautions used in the maintenance and repair of City infrastructure, including streets, right-of-ways, storm/sanitary sewer systems, parks, building maintenance and, general equipment servicing methods.
Ability to: Communicate effectively and to understand and carry out written and verbal instructions. Ability to establish and maintain positive and cooperative working relationships with city staff, other departments and the general public. Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time. Ability to work safely and to wear hazard appropriate personal protective equipment.
Education and Experience: Any equivalent combination of education and experience that will provide the employee a general understanding of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance construction and repair activities. Typical education would include graduation from a high school or GED equivalent.
Special Requirements/Licenses: Possession of valid Driver's License. Must be at least seventeen (17) years of age.
Desirable Qualifications: Previous experience in a municipal public works department.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, bend, stoop, communicate, reach and manipulate objects, tools or controls. The position requires mobility. Many duties are physically demanding requiring entry to confined spaces and occasionally moving materials weighing up to 100 pounds. Movement of materials weighing up to 25 pounds may consume up to 15% of the work period. Activity and types of duties performed require manual dexterity and coordination.
Working Conditions: The majority of duties take place outside of buildings with exposure to all types of weather conditions and on a year-round basis, sewage, bio-hazards, traffic, dirt, oil, grease, fumes, noise and chemicals. Entry to confined spaces is required on an infrequent basis. May require working on rotating shifts, weekends and holidays. Application and Examination Process Please be advised all notifications pertaining to this recruitment (e.g. exam invitations, exam results) will be e-mailed to you at the e-mail address provided on your employment application. Please be sure to provide your current and complete e-mail address. Check your inbox as well as your spam folder for correspondence as your e-mail provider or personal settings may flag the e-mail as spam. Contact the Human Resources Department with any questions.
Application Process: Interested individuals must submit a City of Sherwood online employment application. This recruitment is continuous, open until filled, andmay close at any time. Applications not received by the close of the recruitment may not be considered; therefore prompt application is encouraged.
Veterans' Preference: It is the policy of the City of Sherwood to grant hiring and promotion preference to qualified veterans and disabled veterans in accordance with ORS 408.230, at each stage of the application and interview process. To claim veterans' preference in hiring, a completed Veterans' Preference form along with the required documentation, must be submitted at the time of application.
Examination Process: Application materials may be used to determine which candidates will be invited to participate in an oral interview.
About the company