- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- Santa Clara
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
The Manager of Health Economics and Reimbursement (HE&R) is responsible for developing and communicating value messaging for Abbott Vascular products and therapies by providing health economic and reimbursement support for customers. This may include health economic studies, health economic data analysis, reimbursement information and analysis (coverage, coding, and payment). Key internal customers may include new product planning teams, clinical science and operations, medical affairs marketing, sales and global affiliate reimbursement colleagues. Key external customers may include provider customers (hospital economic buyers and physicians), private payers, government agencies, physician societies and industry trade associations.
The essential elements of this position are:
- Development and execution of value-focused economic and reimbursement strategies; and
- Support customers seeking reimbursement for Abbott Vascular products by having an in-depth understanding of coverage, coding and payment models for these products in general, in all major markets.
This position will be a strategic business partner to the Vascular commercial teams, both in the U.S. and Interntional. In addition, this position will coordinate with Clinical, HE&R and Regulatory Affairs colleagues to develop evidence to support clinical, economic and value-related claims for Vascular interventions.
- Develop and implement health economics and reimbursement strategies to support cross-functional teams in development of health economic, value messaging, reimbursement and coverage strategies based on strong understanding of physicians, business/practice managers, payers, and their decision making systems. Works with minimal supervision on cross-functional teams.
- Educate new and existing hospital-based vascular programs on Reimbursement Best Practices.
- Present to a diverse audience, including C-suite executives, physicians, and service line administrators regarding health economic and reimbursement issues.
- Lead the development and implementation reimbursement strategies and economic value plans to support marketed Vascular products, as well as those in clinical development.
- Develop health care economic and reimbursement education programs for internal (sales and sales management) and external (hospitals, physicians, payers, etc.) stakeholders.
- Keep commercial organization and other internal functions (e.g., Clinical, Regulatory Affairs, R&D) informed about the potential impact of key health policy and macroeconomic changes; including, but not limited to, value-based purchasing, comparative effectiveness, and technology assessment.
- Provide information on economic buyer and commercial payer issues related to reimbursement, coverage, and contracting for the Abbott Vascular product portfolios.
- Participate in cross-departmental meetings and conference calls for the purpose of providing input and guidance regarding economic evidence, quality of live / patient reported outcomes, value messaging and reimbursement.
- Act as a primary liaison for internal Vascular organization with respect to Health Economics and Reimbursement issues and questions.
- Comply with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree from accredited college in relevant area required; advanced degree preferred (MHA, MBA, MS, PhD, and JD).
- At least 6-8 years of progressively advancing work experience in the following categories: Service line administration, or C-suite experience in hospital, physician practice and/or payer setting; or prior industry reimbursement and health care economics experience.
- Thorough understanding of U.S. public and commercial payer models, reimbursement concepts (e.g., coverage, coding and payment).
- Strong knowledge base re: international health systems and payment schemes.
- Experience in health policy, health economics, medical device reimbursement, technology assessment, or health care research.
- Understanding of medical / clinical research methods and publication interpretation and ability to use evidence to support value proposition.
- Strategic thinker with experience implementing programs outside of direct reporting relationships.
- Experience in collaboration working across a matrix organization with various stakeholders.
- Communication, and ability to distill complex information into concise, impactful communications to both internal and external customers/stakeholders.
- Action oriented, comfort with ambiguity, business acumen, and organizational and strategic agility.
- Problem solving of highly complex issues, which requires critical assessment of potential impact on multiple interested parties.
- Ability to travel approximately 10-20%, including internationally.
- Understanding of reimbursement and payment models for major OUS countries, especially Europe, Japan, China and India.
- Relevant experience in reimbursement medical devices, with specific experience in cardiovascular therapies.
MD Medical Devices
United States Santa Clara : Building B - SC Floor-2
Yes, 15 % of the Time
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf
About the company
At Abbott, we're committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 94,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and www.facebook.com/AbbottCareers, on Instagram @AbbottGlobal, and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
We invite you to explore opportunities at Abbott, to see if your talents and career aspirations may fit with our openings. An equal opportunity employer, Abbott welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.