- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
What makes Gartner Research & Advisory a GREAT fit for you? When you join Gartner, you’ll be part of a leading-edge team that values expert insights, bold ideas and intellectual courage. You’ll deliver must-have research through compelling client interactions, and contribute to our double-digit growth by providing clients the unbiased insight and advice they need to make the right decisions every day. Through constant learning, discovery and collaboration, you’ll help clients deliver on their mission-critical priorities, grow your career and increase your industry impact. We value hard workers — and reward you with unlimited opportunity. If you’re looking to explore what’s next in technology and business, Gartner is looking for you.This position is to lead a highly motivated team of 15-20 researchers in Arlington, VA who develop compelling content for the heads of commercial banking, retail banking, wealth management and operations within the global Financial Services industry. This group is part of the wider Financial Services practice with a vision to be the first choice for business and IT leaders in all segments of the global Financial Services industry to obtain must-have research and actionable advice.
The Managing Vice President (MVP) role is critical to leading team managers and associates in developing must-have research, supporting clients in all interactions, and scaling the overall Financial Services business. This role is heading up the peer and practitioner research arm of the Financial Services practice which is focused on designing and executing detailed proprietary research studies that may include primary and secondary surveys as well as client and industry best practices.
Fundamentally, the MVP role is responsible for three things: People Development, Content Development, and Business Development:
People Development: Lead the different peer and practitioner research teams to develop associates and continuously improve client impact. Inspire and motivate the team; develop skills and coverage; improve process efficiency and develop storylines for client meetings. To communicate the vision and grow the capabilities of the team. Work with the Financial Services Practice Vice President and other members of the Practice management team to grow the group capabilities to support Gartner’s continual growth.
Content Development: Lead the peer and practitioner research teams to create must-have content addressing the key initiatives for the primary target roles in the Financial Services industry. Continuously review coverage to direct resources to the hottest areas, as determined by client interest and strategic investment. Drive an appropriate balance of content types to support Gartner products while contributing to all of Gartner Research. Work with the Chief of Research to execute on strategic research themes and to leverage synergies with the analysis and evaluation research arm of the Financial Services Practice. Empower aligned Key Initiative Leaders (KIL) to drive thought leadership and delivery against planned agendas.
Business Development: Engage proactively with other teams within and outside of the Financial Services Practice including neighboring practices, advisory, sales, service and product teams to innovate product and service offerings. Drive business results by strengthening and growing the member network in the Financial Services Industry. Develop strategic relationships with clients to increase retention, grow the international business, drive synergies across both business and IT roles and be recognized as the leader of this research group. Work on strategic initiatives at the overall Financial Services practice or CIO group levels related to team structures, new roles and skills, collaboration models, new products and processes, etc.
A successful candidate must be able to:
- Direct dispersed teams of team managers and researchers, including leading, motivating, developing and coaching managers, associates and entire team.
- Coach, direct and oversee teams and associates’ workload within and across broad topic areas and ensure balanced workload that exceeds client expectations and the practice’s growth objectives.
- Manage performance, drive a high-performance culture and oversee and manage remuneration across multiple teams and geographies.
- Help to drive the strategic evolution of research coverage within assigned areas.
- Collaborate with the Chief of Research and KI leaders with peer and practitioner as well as analysis and evaluation research to ensure the team has detailed research agendas for all relevant topic areas.
- Contribute to Research & Advisory long-term strategic objectives by providing expert advice on growth opportunities within research topic areas and by identifying new areas for future research.
- Drive, direct and ensure on-time and high-quality fulfillment of each relevant research product.
- Maintain the quality of all output including written deliverables, webinars as well as research deliverables for Annual Executive Retreats and other client meetings.
- Determine the right research methods and content types, including innovations to both.
- Work with headliners and advisors aligned to different workstreams.
- Coordinate with analysts and other peer and practitioner teams who are working on similar topics.
- Direct collaborative research inside the group of teams and across other teams, groups and business units.
- Collaborate with Marketing, Events and global Sales to develop business, promote client satisfaction andincrease revenue.
- Ensure teams follows Gartner processes.
- Operate in an agile, innovative and fast-paced environment balancing and moderating different interests.
The candidate must have demonstrated ability to: inspire a team to achieve great things; formulate and articulate a vision of the future; take concrete actions to achieve that vision; proven track record of strong management – of business, people and content; proven ability to execute, both with and without positional authority; deep knowledge of Gartner peer and practitioner (and ideally also analysis and evaluation) research processes and strategy. The position has to be located in Arlington, VA.
- First-line management experience is required
- 15+ years' experience working within research, consulting or risk management fields
- Bachelor's degree in related field; Masters preferred
- Polished skills in communication, leadership, planning, motivating and coaching
- Experience running and leading multi-national, remote teams
- Credibility to represent Gartner research methodology and strategies effectively at a senior level
- Demonstrated high level of influence, negotiation & facilitation skills
- Collaboration and consensus building skills with a large diverse group of associates and clients
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- High intercultural awareness
Job Requisition ID:41969By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.
About the company
Gartner, Inc. (NYSE: IT) is the world's leading information technology research and advisory company. We deliver the technology-related insight necessary for our clients to make the right decisions, every day. From CIOs and senior IT leaders in corporations and government agencies, to business leaders in high-tech and telecom enterprises and professional services firms, to technology investors, we are the valuable partner to clients in over 9,100 distinct enterprises worldwide.