- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
POSITION SUMMARY: The plant mechanical systems organization generates technical requirements and advances the design of the fluid systems within the NuScale Power Plant. The person in this position supports the advancement of the plant design by utilizing fluid system design methodologies and intuition to perform engineering calculations, engineering reports, and generate engineering drawings in accordance with NuScale Power procedures and applicable Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) Requirements. This position will also involve providing oversight and review of major scopes of design development performed by vendors with a focus on supporting internal technical decision making. The ideal candidate will have experience with steam plant power systems including feedwater and main steam and will have familiarity with equipment such as steam turbine generators, feedwater heaters, condensers, cooling towers, pumps, etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform engineering evaluations by applying sound engineering thermal hydraulics and structural mechanics fundamentals, including familiarity with standard system design software (e.g. AFT Fathom).
- Prepare and review engineering specifications, drawings, and other documentation that communicate the design and technical aspects of components, systems, and structures associated with BOP systems. Works on complex tasks in multiple and diverse areas and proposes innovative design solutions.
- Interprets scope and project requirements to develop design alternatives when required.
- Plans, organizes, and performs complex assignments in a team environment.
- Engage with NRC staff and NuScale licensing staff to support the review of the NuScale Power Standard Plant Design and other licensing efforts as needed.
- Act as technical lead for vendor design and procurement contracts. Additionally, support customer technical requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
- Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
- Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity, Is able to create, read and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
- Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal networks and trust within the organization.
- Safety Culture: Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high standards.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
- Education/Certification: A minimum of a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering from a four year accredited college or university. A PE license in Mechanical Engineering is desired.
- Experience: Minimum five years of relevant full-time professional experience is required. Demonstrated knowledge in:
- Steam power systems including feedwater, main steam, and equipment such as turbine generators is required.
- Fluid system design, preferably in the nuclear industry is required.
- Operation of fluid systems in a nuclear power plant is preferred.
- Applying NRC regulatory requirements to the design of nuclear power plant systems is preferred.
- Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
- Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1 preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
- Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
- The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk; bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to travel nationally and locally using common forms of transportation.
Disclaimer: Employee(s) must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employee(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all employees in this classification.
About the company