- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Request/Posting Number 0712748
Classification Title Medical Office Associate
Working Title Full time, subject to academic break layoff
Job Class # 004961
Type of Position Civil Service
Percent Appointment: 1-100 (For Student Employment and Graduate Assistant Only; state hours per week) 80
Representation: AFSCME Local 3236
Department Health Services - 02540000
Job Category Staff
General Summary Under general supervision, this individual performs a variety of support services for Student Health Services. The Medical Office Associate will be able to perform daily functions of the Patient Support Service's Office of Student Health Services, including scheduling appointments, assisting with the processing of immunization records, , and scanning documents into the patient's electronic medical record. In addition, the incumbent will print billing statements, and perform reception or check-out duties, as needed.
Required Qualifications 1. High school diploma or equivalent/GED
2. Any one or any combination of the following, totaling one (1) year (12 months), from the categories below:
a) work experience comparable to that performed at the Medical Office Assistant level or in other positions of comparable responsibility
b) work experience in a health care facility such as a doctor's, dentist's or hospital's office; which involved record keeping; working with the public, direct patient contact, answering telephones and working with medical terminology
c) graduation from an accredited medical secretarial or paramedical program (such as nursing assistant, medical assistant or medical secretary)
3. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Desired Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Knowledge of medical terminology.
2. Knowledge of computers and data entry
3. Skill in reading, comprehending, and following complex instructions
4. Organization skills, including time management and work flow
5. Oral and written communication skills
6. Abilities to interact with and assist patients and their families
7. Ability to adapt and work under pressure and amid interruptions
8. Ability to work with people from a variety of cultural economic and educational backgrounds
9. Ability to keep patient information confidential
10. Ability to perform routine keyboarding accurately
11. Ability to establish priorities and function independently
12. Ability to lift 20 pounds of office paper
13. Ability to drive
14. Ability to perform simple calculations (such as adding, subtracting, and totaling)
15. Ability to function as part of a team.
Necessary Licenses/Certifications/Degrees High school diploma or equivalent/GED
Hiring Rate/Range $13.14-$13.92 per hour
Work Hours Monday-Friday 8:00 am-4:30 pm
Proposed Starting Date: November 2019
Posting date 11-07-2019
Closing date 11-17-2019
Special Instructions to Applicants All application materials must be submitted online. Application materials submitted via fax, e-mail or mail will not be accepted. Please fully complete the entire application including, but not limited to, the education and work experience portions. Please list all education and all jobs you have had. You must list all duties you performed in the job duties section (Phrases such as "See Resume" are not acceptable). Failure to follow any of these instructions may constitute an incomplete application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please upload a cover letter, resume and a reference list of three business references with name/mailing address/title/phone number.
A civil service exam is required for this position. Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application status for testing. Other documentation such as college transcripts (may be unofficial) must also be uploaded or brought to the exam in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the civil service exam.
Other documentation such as DD214 paperwork must be faxed, mailed, or delivered to Human Resources prior to the examination or provided at the time of testing in order to receive the maximum eligible points:
Fax: 309.438.7421, Attn: Brandy O'Grady
Address: Illinois State University
Campus Box 1300
Normal, IL 61790-1300
This position is represented by AFSCME Local 3236 - Clericals.
This is a full-time position on an academic calendar. It will be subject to academic break lay-off (such as spring break, summer break).
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at 309-438-3383.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Contact Information Brandy O'Grady
Required Applicant Documents PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply For This Posting". Resume/C.V.
Optional Applicant Documents Certification of Retirement Annuity (required for SURS annuitants only)
Civil Service Test 4961-Medical Office Associate
Physical Requirements: Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. Ability to stand for long periods of time.
2. Ability to stoop, bend and reach when filing.
3. Ability to walk rapidly for long distances throughout the clinic and campus.
4. Ability to effectively communicate on a daily basis.
5. Ability to maintain a high level of concentration.
6. Ability to use a computer in day-to-day work (i.e. type on a keyboard and use a mouse).