- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Google is proud to boast a network that provides service to millions of Internet users around the world. The Network Engineering team is responsible for operating that network reliably and at scale. As a member of the team, you have a direct impact on design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You also ensure that network operations are safe and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components and responding to network connectivity issues. Google's complex network generates a constant stream of challenges which require you to continually be innovative with an evolving set of technologies. Keeping the network reliable ensures that our users stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
As a Network Deployment Engineer, you will be on the front lines of our efforts to deploy and maintain data networks worldwide. You will work with Network Architects and Engineers, Design Engineers, Infrastructure Engineers, Field Engineers, Strategic Negotiators and Technical Project Managers within Google, as well as construction and telecommunications Vendors and Contractors, all to position the metro for which you are assigned accountable for success.
You will use your experience in optical transport, data centers, and colocation, as well as your familiarity with the local metropolitan areas to which you are accountable to affect positive outcomes and facilitate faster, better, and more efficient outcomes.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- 2 years of experience with optical network installation, maintenance and operation for service providers or large enterprise networks.
- 2 years of experience with ISP network operations or enterprise/IT network infrastructure.
- 4 years of relevant work experience, including field work experience in POPs, carrier hotels, data centers and central office environments.
- Experience working with local exchange carrier (LEC) and other telecom service providers, building landlords, electricians, construction operators, and non-technical end users.
- Experience and desire to do scripting/programming.
- Oversight and QA of installation technicians for rack, stack and installation of networking equipment.
- Commission and test routers, optical transport equipment, and other network devices in new and existing network nodes across Google's global network.
- Generate implementation plans and provide technical leadership and guidance during deployment activities.
- Work closely with project management, network engineering and rest of the engineering team to identify in advance potential problems in network installations, including in the areas of facility power (AC/DC), cooling, security/access, rack layout and cable management.
- Manage network documentation, updating and maintaining network drawings and plans.
About the company
Google is not a conventional company, and we don't intend to become one. True, we share attributes with the world's most successful organizations - a focus on innovation and smart business practices comes to mind - but even as we continue to grow, we're committed to retaining a small-company feel. At Google, we know that every employee has something important to say, and that every employee is integral to our success.
We provide individually-tailored compensation packages that can be comprised of competitive salary, bonus, and equity components, along with the opportunity to earn further financial bonuses and rewards. Googlers thrive in small, focused teams and high-energy environments, believe in the ability of technology to change the world, and are as passionate