- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Job TitleMicroscopist/Bioinstrumentation SpecialistDepartmentShare Equipment Authority SEAFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS20245Open Date11/08/2019Close DateSalary Information$42,100 – $67,400
Work ScheduleMonday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., extra hours as needed.
Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeNoPosition SummaryAs today’s researchers in science, engineering, and medicine seek to address ever more complex problems, they require access to an increasingly robust research infrastructure. Recognizing this critical need, Rice established the Shared Equipment Authority (SEA) in 2001 as a way to provide its faculty superb experimental facilities, research equipment, and support services at an affordable cost. The Rice SEA supports more than 100 instruments.
The microscopist/bioinstrumentation specialist will manage, maintain and operate various optical microscopes and biological research instruments at Rice University under the auspices of the SEA. The instruments will be arrayed in several buildings on the Rice campus including the BioScience Research Collaborative (BRC). S/he will be primarily responsible for operation of and training on several optical/confocal microscopes and related equipment. Additional responsibilities may include a variety of other instruments primarily serving the biological research community, such as flow cytometry and FACS, PCR, DLS, etc. This position’s responsibilities will include ensuring that and users are taught to properly use the instrumentation and that all equipment is properly maintained.
The ideal candidate has a solid background in light-microscopy techniques and their application to biological questions as well as the readiness to teach and work with multiple users is a must. The candidate should be able to work as part of a team, be highly self-motivated reliable and well organized. The candidate should be an enthusiastic, service-oriented team player willing to help scientists with basic and advanced aspects of microscopy.
Education RequiredMaster's DegreeMajor/DisciplineScience or engineering field (biology, bioengineering, chemistry, physics, material sciences, or related field).
Substitution for Education RequirementMay substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an
equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.
Education PreferredMaster’s degree in science or engineering.
Experience Required1 yearType of ExperienceRelated experience maintaining and operating optical microscopes and other bio instrumentation.
Substitution for Experience RequirementMay substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.
Experience PreferredRelated experience in all of the following areas (experience gained during undergraduate or graduate education is acceptable):
- Related experience with confocal and other optical microscopes
- Related experience troubleshooting malfunctioning equipment
- Related instrument experience (e.g. flow cytometry and FACS, PCR, centrifugation, imagers, DLS, particle tracking)
License/Certification PreferredSkills Required- Broad base knowledge of science with some experience in an applicable research area and the associated research equipment
- Excellent critical thinking, research and technical skills
- Excellent editing, presentation, verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate with a wide range of researchers, faculty, staff and students including both non-technical and technical individuals
- Willingness to work autonomously, as well as with other staff and faculty
- Excellent time management skills
- Promotes best practices of a research lab
- Possess proven skill with instrumentation and ability to learn quickly and master new experimental methods and instruments
Skills PreferredInternal / External ContactsInternal: Frequent contact with Rice faculty, staff, and students
External: Contact with visitors, vendors, and experts
Physical DemandsRequires working at a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours per day).
Working Conditions- Travel to regularly attend conferences and/or training courses, typically once per year
- Extended hours possible on occasional nights or weekends, as needed
Essential PersonnelPosition is not considered essential during a campus emergency.
Rice University Standard of CivilityServes as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.
Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/21958 Job Functions
Essential Functions- Responsible for the full life cycle of assigned research equipment including assisting with negotiation of the technical specifications for new research equipment, oversees vendor installation, keeps stakeholders informed of installation progress / completion, and operating, maintaining, troubleshooting, consulting with vendor regarding repairs and overseeing repairs, as appropriate and facilitating routine maintenance of the equipment
- Stays abreast of latest technological advances in research and informs faculty and stakeholders of new methodology to facilitate their research and pursues the implementation of new techniques needed for research on the existing instrumentation
- Provides basic instruction to undergraduates, graduates, postdoctoral fellows, faculty and external users, performs brief demonstrations
- Performs various administrative functions including but not limited to attending internal/external meetings, issues/tracks scientific equipment usage and fee charges to the necessary parties, and maintains security access control to research lab
- Follows best practices of a lab research facility
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Additional Functions or Information- Provides basic instruction to undergraduates, graduates, postdocs, faculty, and external users wanting to learn how to use the instruments in the facility overseen
- At the faculty’s request, provides brief demonstrations to undergraduate lab classes on how the instruments are used
- Provides advanced training to individuals needing to learn more specialized techniques for their research and assists with interpreting the results, deciding what additional work, if any, should then be done, and writing up the results for publication
- At the faculty’s request, pursues the implementation of new techniques needed for research on the existing instrumentation
- Assists faculty prepare grant proposals for funding the acquisition of equipment, which will improve the ability to do research and teach graduate and undergraduate students
- Works with vendors and Rice’s Facilities and Engineering staff to ensure that the required laboratory utilities are installed by the time the instrument is delivered
- Troubleshoots and consults with the vendor’s technical staff to either repair equipment, send the equipment back for repair, or coordinate vendor technical staff on-site repairs- Provides general oversight of the facility (e.g. card-key access control, routine maintenance of the process equipment in the assigned building/responsible equipment, and keeping the facility and instruments clean)
- Performs fee-for-service for users and runs samples for such clients, preparing reports for them when the work complete
Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- References/Recommendation Request
Supplemental QuestionsRequired fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a master’s degree or higher in a science or engineering field (biology, bioengineering, chemistry, physics, material sciences, or related field)? You may substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.
- * Do you have a year or more of related experience maintaining and operating optical microscopes and other bio instrumentation or additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement? (Open Ended Question)
- * Please provide the salary or range that you would require or consider for this position. (Open Ended Question)