- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- New York City
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
The talent and passion of our people is critical to our continued success as a firm. Together, we share four core values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic:
1. Putting Clients First
2. Doing the Right Thing
3. Leading with Exceptional Ideas
4. Giving Back
Morgan Stanley is committed to helping its employees build meaningful careers and we strive to be a place for people to learn, achieve and grow.
Firm Risk Management
Firm Risk Management (“FRM”) enables Morgan Stanley to achieve its business goals by partnering with business units across the Firm to realize efficient risk-adjusted returns, acting as a strategic advisor to the Board and protecting the Firm from exposure to losses as a result of credit, market, liquidity, operational, model and other risks.
Our mission is to serve as the follow roles:
• Independent agent to set consistent principles and disciplines for risk management
• Strategic advisor to Firm management for setting risk appetite and allocating capital
• Industry leader to influence and meet regulatory standards
You will collaborate with colleagues across FRM and the Firm to protect the Firm’s capital base and franchise, advise businesses and clients on risk mitigating strategies, develop tools and methodologies to analyze and monitor risk, contribute to key regulatory initiatives and report on risk exposures and metrics to enable informed and strategic decision-making. Through thoughtful analysis and clear communication we are best able to bring our ideas to the table and improve the Firm.
Firm Risk Management values diversity and is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees.
Firm Risk Management’s unique franchise promotes:
• Flat, flexible and integrated global organization
• Collaboration and teamwork
• Credible, independent decision-making
• Organizational influence
• Creative and practical solutions
• Meritocratic and diverse culture
Background on the Position
FRM’s Market Risk Department (“MRD”) is looking for an ambitious Executive Director to provide market risk coverage of the Firm’s extensive equity investment portfolio across the Morgan Stanley Investment Management (“MSIM”) business and within its Institutional Securities Group (“ISG”).
The Firm’s MSIM business manages nearly $500Bn in assets across numerous strategies such as private credit & equity, real assets, fixed income, liquidity, public equity and hedge funds. Additionally, the Firm’s ISG businesses hold and make strategic investments that bolster the Firm’s position in key markets.
• Lead and manage a team responsible for independent oversight of all market risks related to the Firm’s equity investments portfolio
• Engage with the business units to assess the market risk of current and potential investments. Participate in new product committees, investment committees, valuation committees and business unit risk committees, ensuring risk is in-line with the Firm’s risk appetite
• Evaluate new product approval requests and investment proposals, and escalate any issues/concerns to key stakeholders to ensure resolution
• Update Firm risk senior management on exposure trends and material changes to the portfolio through formal and informal presentations
• Escalate large transaction approvals providing recommendation and supporting analysis to senior management
• Establish new risk metrics to enhance risk transparency for ongoing monitoring and reporting
• Enhance the market risk limit framework to bolster the controls and effectively manage risks
• Lead data enhancement and infrastructure projects to improve risk management capabilities
• Conduct detailed risks analysis and develop stress tests to highlight and assess key vulnerabilities in the portfolio
• Demonstrated leadership abilities with the capability to lead and develop a team of direct reports while managing short and long-term projects
• Self-motivated, adaptable, strong attention to detail and desire to assume extended responsibility
• Willingness to question established processes and ability to provide vision to improve and build processes
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish effective relationships with the business units and external groups
• Ability to manage multiple projects and deliverables simultaneously, consistently meeting deadlines
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; ability to produce concise and effective presentations
• Knowledge of or familiarity with investment management strategies and fund structures and/or experience with derivative products would be viewed favorably
• Minimum 8 years of experience in financial services, including exposure to risk management
About the company