- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Position TypeCivil ServiceClassification TitleIT Technical AssociatePosition's Functional TitleNetwork AdministratorPosition Start Date10/01/2019Position End Date (if temporary)Position SummaryGovernors State University seeks to hire a Network Administrator. The Network Administrator is responsible for the following duties: planning, design, installation, maintenance, training, support, security, disaster recovery of all Network Operating System software and hardware. The incumbent reports to the Manager of Infrastructure. The Network Administrator will handle installation activities of purchased application software and installation of vendor releases. In addition, the incumbent will support and develop standards, have involvement with capacity planning and allocation of resources. The new Network Administrator will act as the primary lead on tools and technology necessary for monitoring and maintaining the network. The Network Administrator duties will include routers, firewalls, switches, load balancers, wireless access points, controllers, and other areas. This person will need to be able to handle performing activities, such as architecture, updates, replacement, troubleshooting, and working with vendors for issue resolution. This position has a shared responsibility with other Networking Team Members, including Server, Virtualization, Storage, and Telecommunications.
Starting Salary Range: $35,236.50 – $83,500.00
(This is a non-negotiated position. Salary starts at the base and is determined based on education and experience exceeding the minimum qualifications).
Minimum Qualifications1. Any combination totaling two (2) years from the following categories:
A. progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT) related profession.
B. college course work, which included Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
◾60 semester hours or Associate’s Degree equals one (1) year
◾90-120 semester hours or Bachelor’s Degree equals two (2) years
PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF THE COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPT, WHICH INCLUDES THE EARNED DEGREE AND CONFERRED GRADUATION DATE, IN THE FIELD MARKED AS “TRANSCRIPTS.”
2. Additional education, training, and/or work experience in an area of specialization inherent to the position may be required:
• Experience working in IT with progressively increasing responsibility into a Network Administrator role.
• Experience working in a Network Administrator role.
Preferred Qualifications• Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Electronic Engineering, Business or degree- seeking.
• Three (3) or more years demonstrated experience with Network environments.
• Cisco CCNA, CCDA, and CCNP certifications, or recognized certification experience
• Deep understanding of TCP/IP networks (networks that contain Cisco routers and switches).
• Experience utilizing network and system monitoring tools such as Cisco Prime, OpManager, NetEqualizer, etc.
• Experience configuring network file systems
• Strong experience with TCP/IP networking protocols (ability to debug and program at the network level).
• Demonstrated experience testing disaster recovery plans
• Experience with network security (such as firewalls, and managing authentication systems).
• Experience with host security (such as passwords, file permissions, file system integrity, use of security packages)
• Experience maintaining for all network servers (Unix/Linux, Windows, and VMWare).
• Understanding of Windows and Linux-based operating system and can use performance analysis to tune systems.
• Demonstrated data/voice telecommunications skills
Posting Date11/08/2019Closing Date11/23/2019Open Until FilledNoPosting NumberCS0336PType of SearchExternalQuicklink for Postinghttp://employment.govst.edu/postings/4499Employee IDDepartmentSpecial Instructions to ApplicantsThis position requires Illinois residency within 180 days of the hire date.
Credentials Assessment Exam Scoring Information:
In order to be considered for this position, applicants are required to provide electronic documentation that verifies that the following minimum qualifications of this Civil Service position have been met:
• online Civil Service application, including dates of employment, applicable full-time and part-time employment (percentage), and specific duties and responsibilities)
• cover letter
• list of three professional references
• college/university transcript(s). **IF APPLICABLE, PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF THE COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPT IN THE FIELD MARKED AS “TRANSCRIPTS.”
**Please note the following:
• Due to the high volume of applications received, only the high school diploma or equivalent/college/university transcripts submitted/attached electronically to this posting will be used for the review and the consideration of this vacancy.
• If you are a Veteran, you may be eligible to receive Veteran’s Preference Points on a passing examination score, by submitting proof of eligibility to the Department of Human Resources, such as a copy of your DD214/DD215 form (Department of Defense), NGB22 form (National Guard), or Discharge Orders or DD256 Discharge Certificate (Reserves) by the closing date.
Supplemental QuestionsRequired fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Veteran’s Preference Points Documentation