- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- San Francisco
Founded in 2008, Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can belong through healthy travel that is local, authentic, diverse, inclusive and sustainable. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. Airbnb’s accommodation marketplace provides access to 5+ million unique places to stay in more than 81,000 cities and 191 countries. With Experiences, Airbnb offers unprecedented access to local communities and interests through 15,000 unique, handcrafted activities run by hosts across 1,000+ cities around the world. Airbnb's people-to-people platform benefits all its stakeholders, including hosts, guests, employees and the communities in which it operates.
In order to build the world's most loved travel company, we need the world's most interesting and talented people. Are you one of them? If so, we want to talk to you!
The IT Experience (ITX) Core Operations team is looking for an Observability Engineer ideally with expertise in Enterprise Network, Systems, and Application monitoring and logging development.
Role & Responsibilities
- Develop and improve instrumentation for monitoring and logging the health and availability of services.
- Proactively monitor systems, networks, and applications to provide input in improving the stability, security, efficiency, and scalability of systems.
- Develop and maintain Monitoring and Logging Frameworks for all of ITX
- Take personal responsibility for the quality, reliability and availability of global IT corporate infrastructure.
- Own operations documentation of monitoring and logging for global IT production infrastructure.
- Participate in rotating on-call incident response on the weekdays and on the weekends.
- Improve operational efficiencies via scripting, bots and integrations.
- Participate cross functionally with vendors and other IT engineering teams to ensure smooth service delivery.
- Network and systems troubleshooting, fault analysis, and resolution.
- In-depth experience designing at scale monitoring and logging for corporate infrastructure services.
- Expert level experience in monitoring and logging technologies, both open source and closed source (e.g. LogicMonitor, SumoLogic, ELK)
- Experience in RBAC and user based security services such as ISE, Radius, LDAP, and AD.
- Must have strong automation/scripting skills - proficiency in Python or Ruby is a plus.
- Proficient in developing and maintaining technical documentation, runbooks, and procedures.
- A working knowledge in Network is needed. Fundamental knowledge of TCP/IP stack, application protocols (DHCP/DNS/HTTPs) and networking concepts (HSRP/NAT/VPN/VLANs/802.1x/Wireless/Clustering/High Availability/Load Balancing).
- Understanding of enterprise networks using Cisco IOS/NXOS with a working knowledge of IP Protocols (TCP/UDP/ICMP) and Routing Protocols (BGP/OSPF/IS-IS).
- Technology understanding of Palo Alto Firewalls, including Firewall Policy Rules, URL-Filtering, App-ID, User-ID, etc.
- Experience interacting with Telco and Global ISPs (WAN/DIA) and the monitoring of those services.
- A working knowledge of systems is needed. Fundamental knowledge of Configuration Management and Automation tools, with experience in:
- Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Jenkins
- Designing and implementing CI/CD pipelines
- Infrastructure provisioning and management
- Strong in troubleshooting incidents in production environment.
- A strong ownership attitude and a track record of taking responsibility for problems and pushing through to resolution.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or EE, or relevant industry experience is required.
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with cross-functional engineering teams across multiple geographic regions.
This role can sit in S.F. or Dublin, Ireland.
Nice To Have
- Ability to take lead in an operations environment.
- Contributed to Open Source - your public Git repos/contributions show good examples of giving back to the community.
- Architected a monitoring and logging infrastructure that was technology agnostic for a production infrastructure environment.
- Knowledge of revision control software such as GIT.
- Familiarity with REST APIs scripting, i.e. with PAN OS API / Infoblox WAPI.
- Experience with integrations in Google Admin, Duo, OneLogin, Slack, and PagerDuty.
- Administrative experience with 1Password, LastPass, or other cloud based password managers.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more