- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Overview and Organizational Summary
Farm Aid is a national, not for profit organization that works year-round to promote a vibrant, just and resilient family farm system of agriculture in America. With music as our inspiration and farmers as our heroes, we envision a transformed America in which family farmers and citizens are active partners in a thriving food system that ensures farmers a fair living, justly nourishes people and communities, protects and sustains natural resources, and secures a prosperous future for all.
Artists and Board members Willie Nelson, Neil Young and John Mellencamp organized the first Farm Aid concert in 1985 to raise awareness about the loss of family farms and to raise funds to keep farm families on the land. Dave Matthews joined the Farm Aid Board of Directors in 2001. Our annual music festival celebrates farmers, eaters and music coming together for change. Since 1985, Farm Aid has raised over $57 million to support programs that help farmers thrive, expand the reach of the Good Food Movement, take action to change the dominant system of industrial agriculture, and promote food from family farms.
Through direct service, grant making, community building, communications, and offering opportunities to engage meaningfully, Farm Aid works to:
- Amplify the voice of family farmers to bring attention to the challenges they face and the benefits they bring;
- Connect farmers to resources and opportunity, connect farmers to eaters, and in general connect people so that they may cultivate community and power;
- Celebrate family farmers, good food and the culture of agriculture, in which we all can participate;
- Empower farmers and eaters to participate in a democratic, just and sustainable farm and food system; and,
- Invest talent, time and money in efforts that effect positive change in the farm and food system.
Farm Aid is seeking an Office Manager to support its mission and goals by providing an organized, can-do and customer-service orientation to general office administration. The ideal candidate is highly conscientious with strong nonprofit administrative experience, including personnel benefits coordination, at least basic bookkeeping, and project management.
Farm Aid recognizes that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications below. If you believe you have not only the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, but also a unique and valuable perspective to offer, we encourage you to apply.
Job Summary and Purpose:
The Office Manager will manage the day-to-day operations of the organization and play an integral role in ensuring the smooth and effective functioning of the office. Reporting to and working closely with the Operations Director (OD), the Office Manager (OM) is responsible for leading and supporting efforts to improve and implement organizational processes and systems in the areas of general operations, personnel, accounting, and facility management. The OM supervises and works with the Administrative Coordinator (AC) to ensure that staff are supported and have the resources they need, and that the work environment is welcoming for staff and guests. The Office Manager will also work in conjunction with outsourced accounting, finance and audit teams in support of and as a resource for accounts payable and receivable, the annual audit, and state filing activities and requirements. Responsibilities involve exposure to sensitive information and require considerable use of tact, diplomacy, discretion and judgment. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of and successful experience in pro-actively managing office and personnel operations with a customer-service orientation, helping to optimize productivity, and contributing a positive outlook and humor to the office culture/environment. Key responsibilities include:
- Maintain effective office environment and operations systems, ensuring strong customer-service orientation
- Administer human resources benefits, programs and services, promoting a positive office culture
- Manage and execute ongoing bookkeeping activities, ensuring integrity and compliance
- Provide leadership and support of organizational projects, festival production and other special projects
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Office Management (estimated to comprise ~30% of effort)
- As leader of the reception team, ensure consistent and positive customer-service orientation for internal and external constituents, providing support for and training and supervising administrative staff to conduct reception duties.
- Optimize office productivity by maintaining and troubleshooting office systems and equipment (postage meter, telephone, internet, computers, printers, etc.), liaising with landlord and service providers to address maintenance issues and to implement improvements.
- Track and analyze administrative costs, conducting research and offering solutions for cost savings opportunities.
- Maintain, administer and train others on effective use of equipment and systems including IT; serve as key admin user for Salesforce.
- Ensure the orderly and professional state of the office, overseeing the Administrative Coordinator in implementation and maintenance, including for: regular housekeeping duties; effective management of inventory; reordering and organization/storage of office supplies and materials.
- Maintain inventory, maintenance and effective custody of materials in off-site storage units.
- Develop and implement procedures for systematic retention, protection, retrieval, transfer, and disposal of records; develop and maintain operations manual, documenting policies, procedures and systems for general office and operations functions; ensure training and compliance of staff.
- Support OD in organizational planning and project management efforts including researching, developing and maintaining resources, tools and systems that create timely and efficient workflow, and preparing activities reports for guidance of management team.
- Assist OD in identifying and managing risk inherent in all normal operations including thorough review and annual renewals of corporate insurance policies, contracting procedures, subcontractor selection, and cost management.
- Provide leadership, coordination and support of special projects and interdepartmental efforts for process improvements, as well as for administrative and technical assistance to staff as needed.
Personnel Support and Systems Management (estimated to comprise ~25% of effort)
- Serve as benefits administrator for staff, coordinating and processing timely enrollment, renewals, status changes, and terminations for health insurance, SIMPLE IRA, health and dependent care FSA, voluntary dental, etc.; maintain and ensure accurate and timely log of changes; serve as contact for outsourced benefits administration service provider.
- Process and submit bi-weekly payroll, ensuring timely and accurate entry of salary/wage and benefits updates and changes. Coordinate employees’ completion and submission of time-sheets.
- Coordinate filings and requirements for out of state workers, including payroll tax and deductions, unemployment and workers’ comp insurances.
- Maintain personnel records to ensure completeness, security, accuracy, timeliness, and compliance.
- Maintain human resources policies and procedures, staying abreast of and conducting research on relevant employment regulations, and ensuring updates to employee manual.
- Assist OD and hiring managers with recruitment, tracking, hiring and on-boarding of new employees, ensuring complete and effective implementation of on-boarding and orientation activities.
- Initiate and coordinate activities that promote a positive work environment/culture and support employee engagement through group activities, recognition of anniversaries and birthdays, information bulletin boards, and office environment (photos, posters, etc.).
- Support professional development programming, including identifying and coordinating ongoing education and team-building opportunities.
Accounting & Financial Activities Support (estimated to comprise ~30% of effort)
- Support Accounts Payable processing by receiving external invoices and internal check requests and ensuring approvals and correct coding, including for credit card transactions; process payments through QB on a daily/weekly basis.
- Support Accounts Receivable by ensuring timely and accurate log of receipts (supervising Administrative Coordinator to implement), downloading and reconciling reports from online revenue streams with QuickBooks.
- Support the development and maintenance of internal controls, policies and procedures, including training and ensuring staff compliance with accounting policies and procedures manual, and ensuring proper filing and processing of accounting paperwork.
- Support annual audit processes with accountant and external auditors and subsequent filings of federal and state tax forms.
- Serve as a resource for colleagues for financial, budgeting and related activities.
- Ensure Farm Aid’s compliance with state requirements for charitable solicitations by coordinating with external accounting group for annual reporting and license renewals.
- Support OD with development of annual organizational budget through documentation gathering and support of staff training; monitor project & grant budgets as needed.
- Maintain records, policies and filings to ensure compliance with federal, state and local requirements; maintain schedule and stay abreast of current requirements to maintain compliance.
Festival Production Support & General (estimated to comprise 10-15% of effort)
- Work with Site Coordinator to ensure smooth transition from Cambridge off