- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
: At STERIS, we help our Customers create a healthier and safer world by providing innovative healthcare and life science product and service solutions around the globe.
HeaderPosition Summary The Operating Room Liaison individual will work to coordinate and have oversight of daily activities between the Operating Room (OR) and Sterile Processing Department (SPD) to facilitate efficient case flow. Responsible for assisting in projects and process improvement initiatives in compliance with contractual obligations. Promotes customer service/satisfaction through training, education, and resolution of OR frictions for the facility. Perform duties in accordance with hospital, TJC, AORN, AAMI and other appropriate policies and procedures.
- May include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assists the operating room staff in preparing the OR suite for surgery by verifying instrument trays are available prior to case start times.
- Keeps track of case flow during the day, monitor instrument needs, and notify SPD personnel in advance of any possible additional/emergent instrumentation needs. Must be able to resolve issues or offer alternatives when necessary.
- Assist with planning and coordination of instrument turnarounds. Help communicate to the surgical team essential instrumentation information that may affect or delay surgery start time.
- Assist OR and SPD leadership on preference card creation and/or changes to ensure accuracy.
- Assists in and monitors projects on an as needed basis. Identifies instrumentation related to tray additions and reconfigurations, building surgeons specialty sets, etc. Reports findings and revisions to the CSPM Manager.
- Participates and assists in new IMS employee orientation, on the job training, in-service education and IMS or facility quality assurance programs when needed.
- Responds to problem calls from Surgery during regular business hours as required by the contract deliverables.
- Assist in the transportation of sterilized instrumentation to the operating rooms as needed.
- Assists in removing soiled case carts or un-sterile instrumentation and scopes from the operating room department.
- Ensures quality of care by assisting in the cleaning and maintaining hospital instrumentation by following manufacturers IFUs per contract deliverables.
- Able to Process and cleans any required equipment according to IMS and manufacture’s guidelines, including the use of protective equipment as indicated in IMS SOP’s.
- Places instrumentation in appropriate containers using correct count sheet.
- Verifies that required instrumentation has been sterilized and is available for next-day, call or weekend cases.
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the application/use of instrumentation.
- Reports broken instrumentation to appropriate member of management.
- Ensures continuity and quality of surgical procedures by providing support services in the operating room.
- Perform daily required audits of KPI data to include: Case cart audits Room visits for OR frictions Post case cart audits Tray Audits
- Enter KPI data into IMS portal daily.
- Performs KPI data analysis to understand trends and identify operational issues within the operating rooms and SPD.
- Daily communication with OR management and SPD leadership on instrument needs turn overs, and frictions.
- Perform Instrument Processing satisfaction surveys when required.
- Follows chain of command within hospital and Company regarding problems or issues to ensure proper communication and resolution.
- Completes documentation as required for inventory/equipment requests, instrument sets, etc.
- Meets and works with Operating Room staff and surgeons. Duties - cont'dEducation Degree
- High School Diploma or GED Required Experience
- 2- year relevant work experience and/or training in lieu of Associate Degree
- 1 – year relevant work experience with Associate Degree
- Requires thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and is capable of learning software programs and/or hardware as required. Requires Smart Phone knowledge.
- Certified in related field or ability to obtain certification within 12 months required. Other Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of OR workflow, procedures, medical terminology, instrumentation.
- Knowledge of infection control and health & safety policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor coworkers and all levels of a hospital, including the Operating Room and physicians.
- Demonstrated customer centric behavior. Proficient analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, plan, and resolve issues in complex situations.
- Ability to multi-task projects including the ability to plan and organize.
- Flexible and self-motivated.
- Ability to read and understand applicable Standard Operating Procedures. Working Conditions
The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderately noisy. While performing the duties of this job the employee will potentially come into contact with blood and body fluids. Must be willing and able to wear and use personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate to the work environment. PPE may include gloves, liquid proof gowns, and face protection. This list is not all inclusive. Requires vaccinations in accordance with hospital guidelines. Requirements will vary by client location.
STERIS is a $3B, publicly traded (NYSE: STE) organization with approximately 12,000 associates worldwide and operates in more than 100 countries.
About the company