- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- Kansas City
What We're Looking For
Provides independent contracting and claims support for small and less complex projects. Reviews professional services contracts and other project-related documentation in order to assess risk and advise project leadership on ways to mitigate risks and improve cash and financial terms with sound contract language and provisions. Provides continuous contracting and claims support from the preliminary go stage through to project construction completion and close out in a highly proactive and responsive manner. May support more experienced team members on large and more complex projects.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Paralegal Certificate
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Highly proactive and responsive to internal and external customers
What You'll Need
- Prior to any contract review, conducts project risk assessment (PRA) with team to assess project scope detail and value/risk profile to be used as basis for contract review. Using PRA conducts thorough, context sensitive review of professional service contracts and project documentation to assess risks and compliance with company's contracting policies, procedures and insurance program. Prepares and communicates risk assessments and responds to specific inquiries.
- Educates project managers and project analysts in the basics of risk assessment and the role of Contracting & Claims (C&C) in contract review and risk evaluation as well as the overall role of Enterprise Operations (EO) regarding Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) and Cash. Serves as the primary liaison (single point of contact) to project team and coordinates with all other EO staff and resources needed to resolve business unit needs.
- Reviews specialty contracts including but not limited to office leases, technology contracts, general business contracts, joint venture agreements, design build agreements and federal contracts. Provides support as requested for on-going or potential claim situations and in close coordination with Enterprise Risk Management.
- Works collaboratively with the Contracting & Claims coordinator, attorneys and contract specialists to ensure that work loads are balanced and business unit customers receive the highest level of service and responsiveness possible. Responds to inquiries from project leaders and other management in the area of risk assessment.
- Supports proposal activity as necessary, especially regarding contract language, compliance with insurance requirements and unique issues. Drafts and proposes alternative contract text to proactively mitigate/minimize risk exposure. Provides support for negotiation of contracts with clients and sub-consultants.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree
- 3 years contract review & editing or paralegal experience
- Associate's degree
- 5 years contract review & editing or paralegal experience
About the company