- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- San Mateo
Position Information Posting Number 2014202F Position Title Part-Time Computer Business Office Technology Instructor (Pool) Location Cañada College, College of San Mateo, Skyline College Department Human Resources DIST (DEPT) Position Number PTF101 Percentage of Full Time Varies FLSA Exempt (does not accrue overtime) Months per Year other If other, please specify Semester assignments as needed Salary Range Placement on the adjunct faculty salary schedule is based upon education and credited experience. Initial placement can range from $71.87 up to $97.21 per hour. Min Salary Max Salary Position Type Part-Time Faculty, Temporary Posting Text Who We Are The San Mateo County Community District is committed to achieving educational equity for all students. As outlined in the District’s Strategic Plan, “success, equity, and social justice for our students are longstanding goals.” The District’s is focused on “Student Success, Equity and Social Justice.” We provide students with a rich and dynamic learning experience that embraces differences — emphasizing collaboration and engaging students in and out of the classroom, encouraging them to realize their goals, and to become global citizens and socially responsible leaders. When you join our team at San Mateo County Community College District, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, classified staff, administration, students and community partners.
The College and the District San Mateo County Community College District is home to Cañada College, College of San Mateo, and Skyline College. All three of our colleges have been designated as Hispanic Serving Institutions. The District enrolls approximately 23,000 students, the majority of whom are from minoritized populations. Of the students within the District, 2.8% are African-American, 0.2% are American Indian, 16.4% are Asian, 10.4% are Filipino, 24.6% are Latinx, 1.6% are Pacific Islander, 24.0% are White, 17.8% Multi-Ethnic, and 2.2% are unknown.
Who We Want We value the ability to serve students from a broad range of cultural heritages, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, abilities and orientations. Therefore, we prioritize applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits diversity brings to a professional educational community. The successful candidate will be an equity-minded individual committed to collaborating with faculty, classified staff, administration, students and community partners who are also committed to closing equity gaps. An equity-minded individual is a person who already does or has demonstrated the desire to:
(1) Understand the importance of holding ourselves accountable as educators for closing equity gaps and engaging in equitable practices;
(2) Reframe inequities as a problem of practice and view the elimination of inequities as an individual and collective responsibility;
(3) Encourage positive race-consciousness and embrace human difference;
(4) Reflect on institutional and teaching practices and aim to make them more culturally responsive; and
(5) Strategically build buy-in and participation among colleagues for equity-related initiatives.
The San Mateo County Community College District seeks employees who value mentorship and working in a collegial, collaborative environment, guided by a commitment to helping all students achieve their educational goals. All departments strongly encourage collaboration across disciplines to create inclusive, integrated, and interdisciplinary learning experiences. College faculty are expected to be knowledgeable about, and willing to use, different learning and teaching methods appropriate to the students they serve.
Your cover letter must include discussion of the following questions:
• What do you feel are the best strategies for supporting students who have been historically marginalized?
• Think of the most successful class you have taught. What were the key factors in creating that success for racially-minoritized and other underserved disproportionately disadvantaged students?
• How is your teaching approach culturally-responsive to the students you serve?
The Position The Colleges seek a part-time faculty member in Computer Business Office Technology. The ideal candidate will share the Colleges’ commitment to educating a racially and socioeconomically diverse student population.
This position is a “pool” position meaning that openings may or may not be currently available. The District maintains a “pool” of applications for positions which are needed on an ongoing basis at Cañada College, College of San Mateo, and Skyline College. The advantage of “pool” positions is when a position becomes available, the Dean may immediately begin screening applications from the available pool of applicants without having to post a position and wait while the position is being advertised. Your application for this position will be kept current for a period of three years.
Duties and Responsibilities The duties below are representative of the position and not intended to cover all of the duties performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the scope of work is similar, related, or a logical assignment.
1. Teach classes as assigned from the regular Computer Business Office Technology Department curriculum
2. Consult with students during regularly scheduled office hours
3. Maintain expertise in current teaching and discipline technologies
4. Perform other duties as required by contract, collective bargaining agreement, and general institutional needs
The colleges offer day and evening classes. Minimum Qualifications • Possession of any Bachelor’s degree AND two years of professional experience OR an Associate degree AND six years of professional experience OR the equivalent (see below)
• Demonstrated cultural competence, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff
Physical Requirements Equivalence to Minimum Qualifications For persons applying for this position based on Equivalence, please answer the supplemental question on the online application indicating one or more of the following:
Degree Equivalence The applicant possesses a degree(s) with similar content to those listed for the relevant discipline. The name of the degree is close to that specified on the Disciplines List but the degree either has a different title or area of expertise or the coursework is slightly different.
Academic Background Equivalence Related to disciplines in which a Master’s Degree is not generally expected or available. The applicant must have completed at least 24 semester units of coursework in the academic field and must possess at least the equivalent level of achievement and the equivalent in breadth, depth of understanding, and rigor in each of the following:
i) a broad cultural education usually met by the general education requirements for any Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree, and
ii) a detailed study of the discipline in breadth, depth, and rigor, usually met by course work required for the degree major.
Professional Achievement Equivalence The applicant must have completed the General Education requirements for that degree and show evidence of outstanding professional achievement and/or substantial training in the requested field. The applicant must submit substantial evidence, which demonstrates that his/her preparation, teaching experience, work experience, and ability are equivalent to those expected from a person who meets the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities 1. Teach courses in Computer Business Office Technology curricula, including Introduction to Computer Applications (Microsoft Office), Keyboarding and Skill Building, Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and other courses as assigned
2. Recent successful experience in teaching or preparation to teach college-level courses in Computer Business Office Technology
3. Understanding and commitment to the role and purpose of the community college
4. Knowledge of the use of technology in teaching
5. Ability to use and develop teaching methods that emphasize cooperation and collaboration, and engage students actively in learning, encouraging them to become independent, creative learners with higher-order thinking skills
6. Ability to organize and explain materials in ways appropriate to students with different abilities, levels of preparation, and cultural experiences
7. Ability to develop instructional learning outcomes and to develop methods for assessing students’ achievement of these outcomes
8. Ability to organize and teach both theoretical and practical applications of the subject-matter in ways appropriate to students’ abilities
9. Acceptance of the division’s commitment to established academic standards
10. Commitment to the SMCCCD goal of integrating writing skills across the curriculum
11. Skill in respectful, tactful and sensitive interaction with people who are diverse in their academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds.
Preferred Qualifications Faculty Benefits Academic employees participate in the State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS), a defined-benefit retirement plan through the State of California or they may choose to participate in the STRS Cash Balance program or Social Security.
Posting Detail Information Open Date 02/14/2019 First Review Date Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions Summary Required application materials will be screened on the basis of Requirements and Desirable Skills and Abilities listed in this announcement. Candidates for interview will be selected from among those who most closely meet the requirements and desirable skills and abilities. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview. As part of the interview process, candidates may be asked to provide a teaching demonstration or demonstrate other job-related skills.
Conditions of Employment Prior to employment, the selected candidate will be required to complete the following:
1. Submit official transcripts (applies to all faculty or educational administrative positions)
Foreign Education completed outside of the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in conventional/accredited U.S. education programs in order for it to be considered for the satisfaction of minimum qualifications. Foreign transcripts must be translated and evaluated by a U.S.-based credentials evaluation service. The District currently accepts evaluations from agencies approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
. 2. Submit verifications of prior employment
3. Satisfactory references
4. Successfully being cleared for employment through the background checking process
In addition to background checks, the District may review publicly available information about a candidate on the Internet. If a candidate is aware of incorrect or inaccurate information that is available on the Internet, the candidate is welcome to address such an issue with the Office of Human Resources.
. 5. Present original documents for proof of eligibility to work in the United States
6. Approval of your employment by the SMCCCD Board of Trustees
7. Provide a certificate of Tuberculosis exam for initial employment.
8. Have fingerprints taken by a Live Scan computer (Clearance must be received prior to first day of employment). Please note that the California Education Code requires, in part, that community college districts shall not employ or retain in employment persons in public school service who have been convicted of certain felonies, a misdemeanor drug charge (including alcohol offenses) or misdemeanor moral turpitude (sexual offense) crime. However, consideration may be given to those whose drug convictions occurred more than five years ago. A conviction for other crimes may not necessarily disqualify you from the job for which you may be applying.
About the company