- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary $13.00 gross per hour
Application Instructions or Other Information
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply onlineathttps://governmentjobs.com/reedleyto ensure that the application is complete at the time of submission. However, applicants who do not have access to a computer, tablet, or smartphone may submit a paper application.Paper applications will only be accepted for open positions currently listed on the City's Employment Opportunities web page. Paper applications must be sent by U.S. mail to:
City of Reedley,Human Resources,c/oRecruitments,845 G Street,Reedley, CA 93654
Applications must be postmarked by the recruitment deadline for consideration.Paper applicationsmustbe 1) filled outcompletely, 2) include the completedsupplemental questionnaire included in the job posting, and 3) must be signed by the applicant.Failure to provide any of the requested information will render the application incomplete and the applicant will not be considered for this position.
Clickhereto download the paper application.
Under the supervision of the Community Services Department, the Umpire/Referee will provide for the safety and fair play of players in the youth sport programs. The Umpire/Referee will administer the rules for basketball, baseball and volleyball programs during the designated seasons.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
(may include, but are not limited to, the following)
- Officiate games for assigned youth sport.
- Interact on a professional basis with coaches, participants, and spectators.
- Setup and clean up necessary supplies and equipment.
- Attend all meetings and trainings related to the sports program.
- Maintain control of the game environment, including sportsmanship of coaches, participants, spectators, and parents.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
JOB RELATED AND ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Safe and appropriate sports play.
- Relevant legislation, policies, procedures, and rules to ensure that children are supervised and safe at all times.
- Effectively supervise children.
- Analyze and solve problems.
- Make effective decisions.
- Effectively communicate with coaches, participants, spectators, and parents verbally.
- Effectively listen to coaches, participants, spectators, and parents.
- Manage stressful situations.
- Manage time effectively.
- Teach other staff members the rules and skills of umpiring.
- Maintain the confidentiality, at all times, of sensitive information received while performing the duties of the position.
- Be respectful of participants and parents.
- Be sensitive and aware of cultural diversity.
- Be flexible.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics.
- Be consistent and fair.
- Be compassionate and understanding.
- Build esteem while ensuring a safe and secure environment.
- Listen to concerns and make a fair and professional decision.
Experience and Training Guidelines:
Any combination equivalent to experience and training that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
- A minimum of one year of experience with children between the ages of 5-13 is desirable.
- Have experience with planning, organizing, and leading a wide variety of recreation activities.
- Know the basic rules, practices, and equipment used in the said sport to officiate.
- Attend pre-season mandatory training provided by the City of Reedley.
License or Certificate:
- Must be able to obtain at work permit.
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment:
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee may be running, walking, or jumping. The employee is expected to clean and maintain the equipment and the facility. Employee may be moving continuously throughout the activity with children.
- The employee will be working in a busy and occasionally noisy environment. There may be a number of activities and situations happening at the same time. The employee is required to supervise all of the children, coaches, spectators, and parents at said sport, ensure that the children are involved in safe and appropriate activities, and be prepared to handle accidents and emergencies at any time.
- Lifting, carrying, and/or pushing 50 pounds or more on occasion.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.