- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- New York City
As Corporate Counsel at Google, you work on the most exciting legal issues as disruptive technological innovations require creative and proactive legal guidance. You're part of a whip-smart group of in-house lawyers and the projects and cases you take on challenge you to think big and differently. You are collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of the business and work with Googlers from all over the company. As an integrated part of the team, you proactively assess legal risks and advise on products that will not only move information into the 21st century, but move information law forward as well.
Google’s Patent Team focuses on maintaining Google’s ability to build innovative products that serve Google users. As part of this team, you will support the Devices and Services organization (i.e., Pixel, Assistant, Google Nest, etc.), working at the intersection of cutting edge technology and cutting edge patent law. In this role, you will join a team of innovators and attorneys working in an inspiring and challenging work environment
As Patent Counsel, you will focus on providing patent support to Pixel, Nest, and Cloud Gaming. You’ll be involved in setting patent strategy, developing the patent portfolio, and proactively mitigating patent risk for these product areas. Additionally, you’ll work with Engineering and Product teams, executives, and other Legal team members to manage outside counsel.
20th century laws don't always solve 21st century problems, and Google Legal crafts innovative approaches for handling some of the toughest legal challenges of the information age. Whether you're a patent attorney, an intellectual property expert or an engineer headed to law school, Google Legal lets you take on unanswered legal quandaries and create new precedents. Our innovative services raise challenging questions that demand creative and practical answers. We provide those answers by working at the crossroads of the law and new technology, helping Google build innovative and important products for users around the world.
- Juris Doctor degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of relevant attorney experience.
- Admitted to the bar and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law in the state where job is located.
- 5 years of relevant attorney experience.
- Experience targeting/analyzing claims with respect to first- and third-party products, generating claim charts, and evaluating portfolios for read readiness.
- Technical and/or patent experience with hardware manufacturing and supply chain efforts.
- Ability to develop productive relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Identify strategic areas for patenting, harvest patentable inventions, evaluate patentability of invention submissions, and build and manage a patent portfolio.
- Develop relationships with, and counsel and educate, Engineering and business clients on patent-related matters and reducing patent risk.
- Proactively set patent strategy for mitigating patent risk in hardware products and related services.
- Collaborate with commercial counsel to address patent-related issues in commercial agreements and negotiate and draft patent-related provisions in commercial agreements. Conduct patent due diligence for corporate mergers and acquisitions.
- Evaluate and act on third-party patent threats and potential patent acquisition, divestiture, and licensing opportunities. Evaluate patent considerations related to collaborating with universities.
About the company
Google is not a conventional company, and we don't intend to become one. True, we share attributes with the world's most successful organizations - a focus on innovation and smart business practices comes to mind - but even as we continue to grow, we're committed to retaining a small-company feel. At Google, we know that every employee has something important to say, and that every employee is integral to our success.
We provide individually-tailored compensation packages that can be comprised of competitive salary, bonus, and equity components, along with the opportunity to earn further financial bonuses and rewards. Googlers thrive in small, focused teams and high-energy environments, believe in the ability of technology to change the world, and are as passionate