- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
The KCMEO) is seeking an Associate Medical Examiner to fill a recent vacancy. KCMEO operates under the administrative authority of Public Health - Seattle and King County and is a NationalAssociation of Medical Examiners (NAME) accredited office since 1978. The office is located within a 12 year old facility situated on the campus of Harborview Medical Center near downtown Seattle, and was built to our offices specification. KCMEO serves all of King County with a population of 2.2 million and geographical area of 2,131, square miles. King County and Seattle are diverse and culturally vibrant and offer an excellent array of dining, arts and entertainment venues, and is home to several sports teams, universities, colleges and schools. The surrounding region is known for its many outdoor pursuits such as skiing, hiking, fishing, diving, and boating.
The title of the position being offered is Associate Medical Examiner to be filled by a qualified forensic pathologist. This is a full time position with vacation leave and full benefits. Salary ranges from $182,812.45 - $231,725.73 annually depending on experience. There is currently one Chief Medical Examiner and four Associate Medical Examiners, with one of the four Associate Medical Examiner positions vacant and to be filled with this hire.
The office is staffed with five autopsy technicians, fourteen medicolegal death investigators, and administrative support personnel. The medicolegal death investigators respond to all death scenes and collect relevant medical and other records and other material that the pathologist may need to accurately process a case. The pathologists accompany the investigators to homicide and suspicious death scenes. The autopsy technicians are highly trained and experienced and work with the pathologists as a team.
In addition to performing complete forensic autopsies, pathologists testify in court and depositions, provide consultation for families, law enforcement, and attorneys, and participate in teaching medical students and residents. There is the opportunity for clinical faculty appointment in the University of Washington Department of Pathology, and pathologists are encouraged to conduct scholarly activities. KCMEO has a forensic pathology fellowship program accredited by ACGME and conducts weekly educational conferences that are accredited though the University of Washington School of Medicine for a maximum of 52 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits.
Staff may be required to play an active role in the event of a public health emergency, which may include changes in responsibilities, work location and working hours.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all qualified applicants.
King County is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and we encourage people of color, women, veterans and people with disabilities to apply.
Work location: This position is located at the Medical Examiner's Office at 908 Jefferson Street, Seattle, Washington.
Forms and Materials Required:
- A complete King County Job Application.
- Cover Letter
Your application may be rejected as incomplete if you do not include the relevant information in the application. Providing the information only on the resume or cover letter will not be considered complete.
Contact: For questions about this recruitment, please email Angela Brown, Human Resource Analyst at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Perform medicolegal investigations and approximately 250 complete forensic autopsies and reports according to NAME standards.
- Respond to scene investigations of homicides and suspicious deaths on a rotating call schedule of approximately one week per month.
- Testify in court and depositions and provide consultation for criminal justice agencies and families.
- Participate in educational activities for fellows, medical students, and residents.
- Review and approve requests for organ and tissue donation.
- Review and approve disposition authorizations and non-jurisdictional reports, participate and moderate weekly CME conferences, attend twice daily work rounds, weekly staff meetings, and quarterly mass fatality management and quality management meetings, and attend and present at journal club, and didactic lectures. Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Certification in Forensic and Anatomic Pathology by the American Board of Pathology.
- Attitude and ability to practice in accordance with the Mission Statement of KCMEO and practice guidelines of National Association of Medical Examiners.
- Washington State Medical License and Washington State Driver's License.
- Documentation of current BLS CPR certification with AED training required at time of job offer.CPR/AED Heartsaver coursesdo not meet this requirement. Supplemental Information
- This selection process may include, but is not limited to, evaluation of application materials and supplemental questions, testing and interviewing.For more information on our selection process, please refer towww.kingcounty.gov/depts/health/jobs/hiring
- Regular and reliable attendance, effective communication skills, and development of effective working relationships are requirements of all Public Health positions.
- Staff may be required to play a role as a first responder in the event of a Public Health emergency.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The selected candidate will be required to pass a background investigation.
- The selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment physical exam. Applicants should be committed to working with diverse populations throughout King County to provide excellent customer service to a broad range of cultures, in accordance with the King CountyEquity and Social Justice Ordinance and the King County Strategic Plan. This position supports and advances Community Health Services Division's values for fair and culturally competent service delivery, innovative, effective and efficient application of resources, building a culture of performance, and expanding opportunities to seek input, listen and respond to industry and residents.
Who We Are: As the only county in the United States named after Martin Luther King Jr, one of the most influential civil rights leaders in our nations' history, King Countyis a vibrant community with residents that represent countries from around the world. It is a region with increasing diversity that cherishes the artistic and social traditions of many cultures.Together, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence.
We continue to build on an enduring legacy of shared values of equity and social justice, employee engagement, innovative thinking and continuous improvement. With this commitment, King County has adopted a pro-equity agenda aimed at advancing regional change and is developing the systems and standards necessary to achieve better outcomes for all of our residents, regardless of their race or income. All of these qualities make King County one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Public Health- Seattle & King County values diverse perspectives and life experiences. The Department encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
About the company