- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- New York City
At Stony Brook Medicine, our Patient Access Supervisor is responsible for ED RegistrationPatient Traffic Control. This is a leadership rolesupporting patientthroughput, patient experience, revenue cycle and regulatory requirements.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, knowledge and understanding of patient care and effectively respond to changing patient needs by making decisions based on ethical principles and adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a Patient Access Supervisor may include the following but are not limited to:
- Serves as the go-to Patient AccessDepartment Contact person in the Emergency Department for themulti-disciplinary staff within the ED.
- Works to expedite registrationfunctions according to priorities (i.e. by shortest anticipated LOS,etc.).
- Fulfills a supervisory role to monitorand coordinate staff work efforts to appropriately deploy staff to meetfacility needs and to meet established par levels.
- Monitor patient throughputand adjust registrar workflow, provides “on the job training” as appropriate.
- Prioritizes registration and facilitates work flow to be completed bystaff.
- Monitors staff productivity and provide constructive feedback to staffwith management guidance in real time to support through-put, compliance andfinancial objectives including: Accuracy, Eligibility, and Point of Service Collections.
- Appropriately relays issues identified as needing higher level intervention tosupervisory attention.
- Ongoing quality assurance and audit of employeeregistrations to determine training needs.
- Responsible for maintaining andcollecting statistical data for audit, reports, special projects or assignmentsas requested.
- Assigns each PatientAccess Representative (registrar) to complete registrations in real time, toserve to prioritize the order of registrations. Monitors the completeness,accuracy of registration, financial verification etc. for each ED encounter.
- Re-assigns staff and assignments as warranted, pulls in financial counseling orregistrar support as warranted; supports management by ensuring productivityand that staff are most properly and equitably assigned work.
- Monitorsregistration and financial screening time, eligibility verification and co-paycollection.
- Adjusts staff workassignments as appropriate
- Facilitates data integrity bysupporting the work flow of staff to courteously and professionally obtainaccurate and complete demographic and financial information in person orremotely following appropriate established processes, to secure consents andregulatory signatures from patients or designee, essential for treatment and payment.
Required Qualifications: AAS Degree with a minimum of two years workingexperience in a financial services, public health, health, or related industrysuch as insurance. In lieu of degree, fiveyears of demonstrated excellence working in a financial services, publichealth, health, or related industry such as banking or insurance (or otherrelated industry requiring similar skills) which demonstrates comparablecomplex skill experience in payment collection, insurance reimbursement, accessservices etc. Demonstrated moderate to high (not only basic familiarity) competencein Microsoft Office. Demonstrated excellence in verbal and writtencommunication, computing and multi-tasking skills. Candidate must demonstrateexperience and expertise in speaking with customers and can work well withpersons who are under stress (such as sick patients and their distressed familymembers).
Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge of medical terminology is preferred.Supervisory or dispatching experience, billing experience, accounts receivable, banking hospital patient access/registration experience, familiarity with medical insurance benefits, through-put or traffic control, demonstrated experience in with EMR computerized registration / financial / IT systems.
Special Notes: This position will remain posted until filled or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants will occur two weeks from the posting date. For full consideration, applications must be received before the initial review date (which is within two weeks of the posting date). If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill the position posted, additional applications will be considered for the posted position; however, the posting will close once a finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial posting date.
This position may require that the selected candidate work inmultiple areas of the hospital and/or off-site areas.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency (staff shortages, increased census, inclement weather, and/or other emergencies), employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass daysand shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing ofrespiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Shift: Day Shift
Posting Start Date: Dec 2, 2019
Posting End Date: Mar 1, 2020, 10:59:00 PM
- human resources