- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- Washington, D.C.
Founded in 2008, Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can belong through healthy travel that is local, authentic, diverse, inclusive and sustainable. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. Airbnb’s accommodation marketplace provides access to 5+ million unique places to stay in more than 81,000 cities and 191 countries. With Experiences, Airbnb offers unprecedented access to local communities and interests through 15,000 unique, handcrafted activities run by hosts across 1,000+ cities around the world. Airbnb’s people-to-people platform benefits all its stakeholders, including hosts, guests, employees and the communities in which it operates.
Airbnb’s Public Policy + Communications team aims to work closely with politicians, regulators, and the broader public to introduce them to Airbnb, highlight the significant social and economic contribution our business makes to local areas and its inhabitants, and showcase best practices from around the world. We want policymakers to understand the regulatory challenges that affect our community and find models that are good for cities and our thriving local communities.
Across the Americas, we are engaged in well over a hundred local conversations and negotiations with governments big and small, and our skilled colleagues and network of activists across the region engage not only governments at local, regional and national levels directly but also use innovative advocacy strategies that actively involve our community in making the case for fair, progressive home sharing rules, and innovative approaches to local experiences.
The Policy Manager will support our government relations and engagement strategy in the Mid Atlantic Region, focused on engagement with local authorities. The Policy Manager must be able to build trust and talk to local authorities to help them understand the contribution our community makes, and engage them in the process of partnerships that embrace the potential of the collaborative economy. The Policy Manager must demonstrate excellent project management skills and a consistent ability to think creatively about problems and solutions.
This role will be based in Washington DC and will report to the Policy Campaign Manager, Mid Atlantic Region.
- Support the Campaign Manager in executing the public policy strategy, concentrating mainly on influencing the development of the company in the region.
- Develop local stakeholder engagement strategy and partnership programs; establish new and maintain existing relationships with an extensive network of contacts.
- Represent Airbnb in coalitions and associations to advance advocacy initiatives.
- Engage in research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments impacting the company in the region.
- Manage local consultants and agencies to support policy efforts.
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters and Identifying local issues that may have pan-regional implications.
- Ensures progress is reported regularly, and roadblocks flagged in a timely fashion.
- At least 8+ years experience direct lobbying or working in public policy in a political, governmental or regulatory context
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues
- Ability to manage multiple projects and navigate a complex matrix organization with multiple stakeholders
- Extremely creative; takes an entrepreneurial approach to the work with proven track record
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills; ability to resolve complex and unfamiliar problems in a timely manner
- Highly results-driven and strives to find the most efficient way to do things without sacrificing a high quality of work and/or results
- Excellent communicator with great presentation and writing skills
- Acute attention to detail; extremely organized and able to help keep others organized
- Strong work ethic, and exhibits professionalism, courtesy and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to exercise judgment and maintain confidentiality
- Embraces challenges with a positive and solutions oriented approach
- Self-starter with a sense of humor and the ability to thrive in a fast moving and sometimes stressful environment
- Passionate about Airbnb and the collaborative economy
- Willingness to travel
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. Qualified individuals from all walks of life are encouraged to apply.