- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary $12.00 gross per hour
Written exam tentatively scheduled on Thursday, December 19, 2019
Are you a current college student who is looking fora rewarding job experience?The Fresno County Probation Department is recruitingfor the position of Probation Student Worker. If you are someone who is highly organized, dependable, trustworthy, and possesses professional office skills, you are encouraged to apply.
Probation Student Workers are teamed with support, civilian, or peace officer staff to aid with various duties including, but not limited to: organizing required pre-employment information; assisting staff with various clerical projects; summarizing reports; transcribing; organizing files; assisting with the coordination of prospective employees, vendors and volunteers; running errands between multiple office locations; as well as file and record destruction. Career paths to Probation Technician, Victim-Witness Advocate, Juvenile Correctional Officer and Deputy Probation Officer are encouraged.
As a condition of employment with the Probation Department, candidates must undergo and pass a thorough and detailed background investigation. The background investigation includes employment/credit histories, verification of education, arrest/criminal records, drug/alcohol use, and personal conduct. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive; other relevant areas may be investigated and verified.
Please note that the eligible list established for this recruitmentmay be used to fill Student Worker extra-help positions throughout the county. Temporary (extra-help) employees are paid an hourly rate for actual hours worked, are not entitled to benefits, do no obtain permanent status and serve at the will of the department head.
Positions in this classification are in MEDICAL GROUP I - Light Physical Activity (Personnel Rule 8). This group includes positions which require only light physical effort and may include lifting of small, light objects and some bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching. Considerable walking or standing may be involved.
Eligible candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Samples of Duties
The information listed below is meant to serve as samples of job duties and responsibilities for positions in this extra-help classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed. Consequently, this information does not reflect Essential Functions for any given position in this classification.
- Produces a variety of documents using word processing software.
- Assists with the application and background process for applicants, vendors and volunteers.
- Storing, retrieving, editing, organizing and printing a variety of documents.
- Sorting and retrieving data in alphabetical, numerical, or chronological order from both paper and electronic databases.
- Answers telephones and refers calls to appropriate staff member or takes messages.
- Run errands to various office locations as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proper usage of modern office machines and equipment, including personal computers and software applications such as Microsoft Office products;
- Correct English usage, grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, and spelling;
- Alphabetical and numerical filing methods;
- Modern office methods and practices.
- Learn and apply office procedures and rules;
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Maintain files and records;
- Maintain confidentiality;
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Operate personal computers and other modern office equipment;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all organizational levels, as well as with other agencies and the public.
Education: Must be a student currently enrolled in a college or university that is acceptable within the United States' accredited college or university system. (You must fill out the education section of the application completely. Incomplete education information will result in your application being rejected.)
TO PREVENT THE DISQUALIFICATION OF YOUR APPLICATION, PLEASE NOTE:
- Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications for this position by the filing deadline.
- Completed Fresno County employment application is required (must be current, complete, and accurate; amendments will not be allowed after the filing deadline).
- Please fully list your education information in the designated section of the application and on the supplemental questionnaire. Failure to list current, complete and accurate educationinformationwithin the job application will result in disqualification of your application.
- College/university transcripts may be requested to verify current enrollment.
- Resumes and attachments are not accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications and filing requirementswill be scheduled for the following examination process:
- Written Examination. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in the written examination process. The written examination is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, December 19, 2019. It is the applicant's responsibility to contact Human Resources at (559) 600-1830 if notice has not been received one week prior to the date of the exam.
Successful candidates will be placed on an employment list, effective for a minimum of 3 months (the employment list established may be extended for an additional 12 months), and certified in final rank order as vacancies occur.REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- Fresno County Employment Application - must be current and complete, amendments will not be allowed after the filing deadline.
- Supplemental Questionnaire
Note: All required application materials must be received (either online via our website or in person) by the filing deadline. Emailed and faxed application materials will not be accepted. Postmarks will not be accepted. Resumes and attachments are not accepted in lieu of a completedapplication.
HOW TO APPLY:
Online: Applications can be found at http://www.fresnocountyjobs.com
Open Job Information Flyer and click "Apply" to begin the online application process. Failure to complete the job application or failure to follow the application instructions may result in the disqualification of the applicant. Amendments will not be accepted after the filing deadline.
Fresno County Department of Human Resources
Fresno County Plaza
2220 Tulare St. 14th Floor
Fresno, CA 93721
Office hours: Monday - Friday7:30 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding holidays
Please be advised that it is the applicant's responsibility to notify Human Resources of any mailing address and telephone number changes. Notices sent via U.S. Mail from Human Resources are not forwarded ("Return Service" is requested, therefore mail will not be sent to a forwarding address).
If you submit your application online, once the filing deadline has passed, you may check the status of this recruitment at any time by logging on to
The County of Fresno is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Fresno County to provide employment opportunity for all qualified persons. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, or denial of medical and family care leave, or any other non-job-related factor.
The County of Fresno is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application, examination or selection process may contact Human Resources at (559) 600-1830 at least five days prior to the scheduled date or deadline.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Analyst: Jennifer Gevorkyan