- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- San Jose
What You'll Do
The breadth of responsibilities for Product Counsel starts from product inception, goes through development, product launch and general availability and continues until the product end-of-life. You will work closely with various product manager, engineering, business development and go-to-market teams to provide legal support for product development, go-to-market solutions, privacy, data protection and regulatory issues. You will also play a meaningful role in shaping policies and processes to help the legal department improve transactional velocity, strategic direction and scale as Cisco continues to grow and evolve its software and SaaS businesses. During any given week you might work with our sales team to review the terms of a customer deal before it’s approved; educate customers and partners about the legal framework that supports our product portfolio; partner with Cisco’s Regulatory or Privacy Counsel to improve and create new policies or draft supporting documents; respond to customer or partner product inquiries; help develop programs that allow for partners to resell our products; and work with corporate development to integrate newly acquired companies.
- Provide guidance to product management and engineering teams in the Networking, Security and Cloud business units on issues related to new and existing software applications and go-to-market motions throughout the entire product lifecycle.
- Work with the privacy office to implement privacy compliance and privacy by design principles.
- Review and negotiate agreements with strategic partners and customers.
- Assist with acquisition and integration of products, content, services, and technologies, including due diligence and integration related to mergers and acquisitions.
- Build cross-functional relationships with operations, finance, supply chain, IP and other members of the legal team to help drive efficient practices and consistency with internal policies and processes.
- Develop a strong understanding of product functionality and applicable legal/regulatory limitations.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with our product development teams and advise multiple levels of management on legal issues.
Who You'll Work With
With the explosion of devices and connected things, multiple clouds and ever-increasing security threats, IT environments are more complex than ever. The network is what connects all of these, which is why we have a greater opportunity to play a more relevant — and critical — role in helping connect everything and everyone. Whether we're creating new products or helping customers meet their business goals, people at Cisco are collaborators at heart. Our global teams are constantly coming together to solve problems and develop business solutions that provide compelling value to our customers and partners. Interested in joining us on this mission?
Cisco is seeking a highly motivated, solutions-driven and tech-savvy attorney who is excited about working in an agile, fast-paced environment to work with a team of lawyers supporting three of Cisco’s businesses - Networking, Security and Cloud – which are central to Cisco’s mission to deliver highly secure and intelligent IT platforms for digital businesses and countries around the world.
Who You Are
You exemplify excellent legal and business judgment, possesses strong critical thinking and writing skills, and maintain a proven work ethic. You should be able to work independently as well as collaboratively and flexibly in a collegial, fast-paced and rapidly changing environment, and adapt your approach and demeanor to match shifting demands of different situations. You should possess excellent communication skills (oral and written) and advanced interpersonal and influencing skills to build trusted relationships both within and outside the legal department. Success requires self-motivation, self-reliance, confidence, diligence and a passion to learn about new technologies and to pave ways in unchartered territories. Qualifications include:
- J.D. and excellent academic credentials.
- State Bar member in good standing and eligibility to practice in California.
- 6-8 years of relevant legal, in-house and law firm experience.
- Substantial software and SaaS experience including open source software, preferably in the technology industry.
- Experience with privacy and data protection issues, including strong knowledge of global privacy laws, particularly GDPR.
- Solid knowledge of intellectual property laws.
- Strong collaborator who will closely integrate with product management and engineering to develop a deep understanding of product portfolio.
- Intellectual curiosity to learn about new technologies and understand product architecture.
- Validated leadership skills and track record for building business relationships and gaining client trust.
- Practical business judgment and understanding of the difference between legal requirements and business risk.
- Strong organizational and program management skills and the ability to prioritize and handle several simultaneous projects for multiple businesses under deadline pressure.
- And, of course, a wicked sense of humor.
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
- We connect everything – people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
- We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
- We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco
About the company
At Cisco, transforming the way people work, live, play and learn also includes being a great place to work. For 17 years, we’ve been named a Fortune 100 Best Place to Work, one of a handful of companies included on the list since its inception. And, we are among 25 companies acknowledged as a world’s best multinational workplace.
We’re proud of this recognition because it means, at Cisco, you will enjoy working flexibly, using our own market-leading collaboration technology to drive innovation; taking advantage of numerous health and wellness resources; pursuing exciting career opportunities, and participating in programs to help your local communities or fulfill philanthropic interests. And, you’ll be doing all of this while being part of a global team that is making a positive difference in the world.
Learn why Cisco is a great place to work and what we offer you.