- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
The Property Tax Group is responsible for filing property tax returns in a timely manner, reviewing and appealing when appropriate the property tax valuation of company property, paying property tax bills in a timely manner, providing due diligence associated with acquisition/disposition of assets and resolving disputes about property tax issues. The group is also responsible for forecasting property tax liability in a timely and accurate manner in conjunction with business requirements.
- Preparing and filing complex property tax returns for assigned assets
- Reviewing SAP records to determine changes in taxable property including determining if new assets are taxable
- Developing and maintaining relationships with Business Unit contacts who can assist with analysis of changes in assets and operations
- Working with Property Tax Group analysts to assure that the Property Tax Management System (PTMS) contains an accurate record of taxable assets
- Reviewing Notices of Value and other valuation documentation for assigned properties annually
- Negotiating property tax values for complex properties with state and local agencies, filing valuation protests/appeals and appearing before administrative boards
- Working with Business Units when Notice of Value indicates property may be improperly valued
- Developing relationships with county and state assessors to facilitate informal settlement of valuations in dispute
- Becoming familiar with the formal dispute resolution mechanism in jurisdictions where assigned assets are located
- Providing guidance to Business Unit as well as support Corporate Legal and outside counsel when a legal remedy is recommended/pursued regarding the appropriate property tax valuation of a property
- Utilizing the corporate Property Tax Management System to support work
- Utilizing Aries petroleum economics software for mineral appraisal evaluations
- Preparing asset updates and deletions for import into the system
- Assisting Administrators with routine maintenance of the system
- Authorizing payment of tax bills
- Preparing and updating Property Tax Forecast
- Property tax planning through tax modeling, abatements, review of Purchase and Sale Agreements associated with corporate acquisitions and divestitures
- Participate and lead in industry associations regarding tax policies and legislative changes
Support the talent and professional capability through coaching team members on tax technical understanding of the business.
About the company
The world has an ever-increasing demand for energy, and BP discovers, develops and delivers oil and gas across the globe. We’re capturing existing sources while enhancing the potential of renewable and alternative energy. How? By making the most of our world-class assets and investing in new technologies. Above all, though, by recruiting, developing and rewarding talented people. People like you.
Specialties: Upstream – Oil & Gas Exploration & Production, Subsurface, Wells Subsea, Mechanical, Electrical, Process, Civil, Drilling,, Completion & Intervention Engineers, Geoscientists, Professionals in Finance, Business Development, Procurement, Communications etc.