- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- CALIFORNIA US
Job Title: Public Affairs & Marketing Communication Officer (Public Affairs/Communication Specialist 12 Mo): Library - Academic Affairs
Location: San Diego Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 7117
OverviewSan Diego State University is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of historically underrepresented groups.
Initial review of applications will begin on Monday, November 25, 2019. To receive full consideration, apply by Sunday, November 24, 2019. The position will remain open until filled. The online application should be completed in detail. Completion of the online application and submission of a cover letter is required for consideration; a resume alone will not suffice. The cover and resume must be submitted as one file.
For more information on San Diego State University, please click here.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.cms.sdsu.edu/psp/HSDPRDF_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$0');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;Position InformationThis is a full-time (1.0 time-base), benefits eligible, permanent (probationary) position. This position is designated exempt under FLSA and is not eligible for overtime compensation. Standard SDSU work hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but may vary based on operational needs.
Under the supervision of the director of budget and fiscal operations and in collaboration with the strategies and priorities set by the Dean and University’s senior administration, the Public Affairs and Marketing Communications Officer provides critical support in areas including: public affairs, special projects and events, donor stewardship and gift processing, campus and community marketing, communications, media and graphics, publicizing library events and services of interest and campus/community engagement. Working closely with the Dean, Senior Director of Development and lead, the person in this position handles all aspects of dean and other high-profile Library sponsored special events/projects and the stewardship of donors.
The incumbent also serves as project lead of marketing, communications and graphics, leads and delegates tasks to the Marketing and Communications Officer and Graphic Designer, tracks the status of projects to completion and develops strategies for target audiences in collaboration with management. This person performs and/or oversees tasks such as writing internal and external communications and publications, newsletters, library blogs and press releases, utilizing social media, creating content/updates to web pages, promoting events and services to local and national publications, creating maps, signage and posters. This person is responsible for elevating awareness of the library to campus and the community, serves on library and campus committees and works closely with the library’s web designer for projects and site updates.
It is essential that the incumbent be capable of working very independently, coordinating work priorities, meeting deadlines and making decisions regarding often very public matters. Work hours are generally Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., however, occasionally attendance will be required at work related events taking place at night or on the weekend.
For more information regarding SDSU Library, please click here.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.cms.sdsu.edu/psp/HSDPRDF_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$1','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$1');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;Compensation and BenefitsStarting salary upon appointment not expected to exceed $4,300 per month. CSU Classification Salary Range: $3,515 - $6,358 per month. Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
San Diego State University offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a major portion of total compensation. For more information regarding SDSU benefits, please click here.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.cms.sdsu.edu/psp/HSDPRDF_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$2','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$2');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;QualificationsMinimum Qualifications
Knowledge of the fundamentals of public affairs and/or media relations, and/or some exposure to marketing and marketing research. This background normally is obtained through a college degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field, and up to two years of related professional or technical experience. In addition, strong written and verbal communication skills with a solid foundation in grammar, spelling, and the composition of various communication vehicles are essential to initial entry to this classification.
Preferred Qualifications and Specialized Skills
- Master’s degree in public affairs, media relations/studies or marketing communications
- Experience in an academic setting
- Experience in a library setting
- Experience working with (or coursework in) development or stewardship
- Event planning experience in a lead capacity or comparable formalized education
- Supervisory experience
- Familiarity with the operation and goals of San Diego State University
- Experience or coursework in graphic design and photography
- Minimum of two years public relations/marketing communications experience in a professional setting or comparable education consisting of the completion of a master’s degree in a directly related program.
- Ability to translate the communication needs of the Library into written words and artistic designs to maximize the impact and message to the intended audience.
- Proven ability to lead a team and delegate work to others and successfully manage the completion of projects/events from beginning to end.
- One to two years of experience coordinating events in a professional setting.
- Ability to monitor event and labor expenditures to remain within allowable budget and follow procurement guidelines.
- Experience using social media platforms in a professional capacity.
- Working knowledge of protocols and institutional etiquette related to public and media relations.
- Ability to keep abreast of public policy and public affairs issues and to apply this knowledge to the marketing needs of the library.
- Knowledge of the use of color, tone, shading, harmony, perspective, branding standards and copyright and the ability to put these into application.
- Ability to work collaboratively with library faculty and staff as well as external library campus departments (e.g., Strategic Communications, University Relations and Development, the Presidents’ Office, etc.) to facilitate the production of high-quality materials.
- Ability to advise and guide others in photography and the design, layout, artwork and production of complex graphic art items.
- Ability to engage with and host library donors and friends.
- Ability to write proposals, grants, nominations and personalized communications to individuals.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively on multiple projects and with various stakeholders.
- Extensive knowledge of applicable software packages, including, but not limited to Windows, Microsoft Word, Asana or other project management software, Dreamweaver, Adobe Illustrator and other desktop publishing packages.
- Ability to appropriately handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to perform (or oversee) room setup for events.
- Work hours are generally 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., however, occasionally attendance will be required at work related events taking place at night or on the weekend.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.cms.sdsu.edu/psp/HSDPRDF_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$3','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$3');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;Application ProceduresTo apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button. If you need assistance completing your application, please click here.
Applicants with disabilities requiring assistance may call (619) 594-1663.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
San Diego State University is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (e.g., H-1B visa). Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person's identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke free campus. For more information, please click here.