- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary $49,594.00 - $91,755.00 gross per year
This position is located in the Chief of Staff/Legislative Affairs/Strategic Communications Department at the South Carolina Department of Motor VehiclesHeadquarters in Blythewood, South Carolina.The Public Information Director IIplans,develops, prepares, edits, coordinates and disseminates informational and/or educational material for the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles. Directs the Public Information Program for SCDMV. Serves as the supervisor of the Strategic Communications Department.
1. Plans and executes the agency's external communications initiatives. Develops and disseminates news releases, articles, feature stories and other promotional materials for release to the media and the general public; serves as the media contact and maintains contact with newspapers, radio and television stations and other mass media services to disseminate informational materials for public interest or as required by management. Trains those employees authorized to speak to the media. Executes advertising/public awareness campaigns and manages associated budgets. Serves as agency FOIA officer and responds to inquiries originating through social media platforms. Serves as the back-up for the agency's webmaster. Ensures third-party stakeholders receive timely updates on agency changes. Responsible for the supervision of one Public Information Coordinator to include approving time and EPMS evaluations.
2. Plans and executes the agency's internal communications strategy, incorporating agency-wide communication initiatives such as policy updates, news breaks, memos, coordination with Field Services and Training/Change Management. Responsible for coordinating with all directorates to ensure consistent support is given to all agency-wide initiatives while ensuring the priorities align with the agency's strategic plan. Responsible for the supervision of four policy analysts to include approving time and EPMS evaluations.
3. Initiates all DMV Community Service Projects and serves as the agency event planner (Ex: United Way campaign, Blood Drives, Wellness Initiatives, CARES Vehicles Coordination, etc.). Meets with community leaders, forms teams when needed, plans, executes, promotes and follows up on all community service projects. Leads and directs teams that may be needed for any project.
4. Performs all other duties as required by agency management.
Updated to reflect the inclusion of internal communications and supervision of the policy analysts.
Minimum and Additional Requirements
A bachelor's degree and two (2) years experience related to the development and dissemination of informational material.
Capacity to gain knowledge of agency programs, policies and procedures. Ability to gather, organize and present oral and written information in a clear, concise and accurate manner. Knowledge of journalistic principles, practices and techniques of disseminating information to the public through news, proficient in current social media mediums, and use as a business enhancing capability. Knowledge of grammar, composition and style. Ability to plan, compose, edit and produce publications and large scale public relations programs. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the news media, general public and stakeholders. Agency spokesperson.
Employee takes initiative and exercises sound judgement and discretion. Professional level involving complex programs, projects and communications. Works closely with agency management and the Executive Director by recommending programs, completing assessments and providing feedback to management.
Normal work week will consist of 37.5 hours. Limited extended hours may be required to meet job requirements. Works in a climate controlled office setting. Some travel, including overnight travel may be required.
Supplemental questions are considered part of your official application. Please complete the State application to include all current and previous work history and education. A resume will not be accepted nor reviewed to determine if an applicant has met the qualifications for the position.
- ms project
- public relations
- social media