- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- St. Louis
Additional Job Information
- 36 Hours per Week - - Sign-On Bonus Eligible - - Expert Pay - - Nights - 12 hours - Job ID: 1200752
Employment Status: Full-Time
Barnes-Jewish Hospital at Washington University Medical Center is the largest hospital in Missouri and is ranked as one of the nation's top hospitals by U.S. News & World Report. Barnes-Jewish Hospital's staff is composed of full-time academic faculty and community physicians of Washington University School of Medicine, supported by a house staff of residents, interns, fellows and other medical professionals. Recognizing its excellence in nursing care, Barnes-Jewish Hospital was the first adult hospital in Missouri to be certified as a Magnet Hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
The Neurocritical Care Unit (NNICU) at Barnes Jewish Hospital is a 20-bed level 1 center caring for complex neurological and neurosurgical emergencies requiring advanced interventions and comprehensive neurocritical care. The Joint Commission-certified comprehensive stroke center NNICU provides a full complement of advanced neuro-monitoring, medical therapies and neurosurgical interventions. In August 2019, Barnes Jewish Hospital will expand its neurocritical care unit by adding 24 beds. This unit will be equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and technology, including both a stationary and mobile CT scanners capable of performing advanced neurovascular imaging.
Our NNICU teams consist of neuro-intensivists, fellows, residents, acute care nurse practitioners, registered nurses, pharmacists, patient care technicians, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, case managers, and social workers. Working with the medical team, our NPs are engaged in patient rounds, case reviews, morbidity and mortality/performance improvement reviews as well as focused -professional practice in neurocritical care. Due to the acuity of patients receiving care in our Level I NCCU, a neurointensivist or an NNICU fellow provides on-site care 24/7.
Neurocritical care nursing is a specialty within critical care and requires an educational curriculum and competency assessment beyond general critical care concepts. Our nurses receive focused education and competency assessment for common neurocritical care concepts, monitoring, procedures and devices. This includes ENLS (Emergency Neurological Life Support), a program that outlines the key care priorities of 14 neurocritical care diagnoses in the first few hours of management. Nurse to patient ratios are typically 1:2 or 1:1, depending on acuity. Our nurses are fully engaged and an integral part of patient rounds.
Provides direct patient care activities including assessment, diagnosis, planning implementation, and evaluation within the guidelines of the standards of nursing care.
- Educates patients and their families on how to manage their illness or injury, including post treatment home care needs and medication administration.
- Uses critical thinking skills to assess and evaluate patient's physical, psychosocial and emotional needs.
- Develops and implements individual plans of care in collaboration with other members of the healthcare team in accordance with the established guidelines and standards of nursing care. Promotes patient and family centered care in a healing environment.
- Evaluates patient's response and modifies plan of care accordingly throughout the patient's stay.
- Participates in activities that promote safety, quality and regulatory compliance. Participates in professional development and life long learning.
- BJC has determined this is a safety-sensitive position. The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner is an essential function of this job.Minimum Requirements
- Nursing Diploma/Associate's - Nursing
- No Experience
- No Experience
Licenses & Certifications
Preferred Requirements and Additional JobInformation
- Bachelor's Degree - Nursing
Licenses & Certifications
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Certification
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification
Clinical - DirectSkills
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU) - 2 years or more
Note: not all benefits apply to all openings
- Comprehensive medical, dental, life insurance, and disability plan options
- Pension Plan*/403(b) Plan
- 401(k) plan
- Tuition Assistance
- Health Care and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts
-On-Site Fitness Center (depending on location)
-Paid Time Off Program for vacation, holiday and sick time
*Pension does not apply to Memorial Hospital, Memorial Hospital East, Memorial Medical Group, Alton Memorial or Parkland Health Center
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Equal Opportunity Employer
About the company