- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Job TitleResearch AdministratorDepartmentElectrical & Computer EngineeringFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS20153Open Date09/18/2019Close DateSalary InformationSalary Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
Work ScheduleMonday through Friday, 40 hours work week with flexible hours.
Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeNoPosition SummaryRice University’s George R. Brown School of Engineering ranks among the top 20 of undergraduate engineering programs and is strongly committed to nurturing the aspirations of faculty, staff, and students in an inclusive environment. The Electrical and Computer Engineering Department (ECE) is one of the largest departments in the School of Engineering and is globally known for extensive research across multiple disciplines including designing next-generation wireless networks, nanophotonics, terahertz laser spectroscopy, digital systems processing, neuroengineering, machine learning and data science, healthcare devices and analytics, and a plethora of other interests.
The Research Administrator provides full administrative, analytical and operational support to faculty s/he is assigned to support. The Research Administrator is also responsible for providing full pre- and / or post-award support for research activities and services in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department.
The ideal candidate will have experience with the grant submission process, financial management experience, and have the ability to effectively interact and communicate with internal and external contacts.
Education RequiredBachelor's DegreeMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education RequirementMay substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.
Education PreferredBachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or related field.
Experience Required3 yearsType of ExperienceRelated experience in grant proposal development and submission and financial management.
Substitution for Experience RequirementMay substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.
Experience Preferred- Five years of experience in a higher education environment with proficiency in organizational financial management
- Management of personnel and grants/contracts with federal/state agencies
- Experience with university policies and procedures
- Experience with website creation/maintenance
License/Certification RequiredLicense/Certification PreferredCertified Research Administrator (CRA)
Skills Required- Intermediate knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database software programs
- Working knowledge of research administration guidelines, regulations, and policies
- Organizational skills
- Customer service
Skills Preferred- Excellent record keeping and data retrieval skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and take initiative
- Attention to detail and accuracy, confidentiality, accountability
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Familiarity with online grant proposal submission systems (eg. Fastlane, Grants.gov, NSPIRES, exc.) and an integrated financial system (Banner, PeopleSoft, SAP, exc.)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to craft clear, concise correspondence on a wide range of topics
Internal / External ContactsInternal to the University: The incumbent will work with a wide variety of individuals at Rice, including the Office of Research, Research and Cost Accounting, Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance, Development, etc.
External to the University: The incumbent will communicate with collaborators and sponsors, including members at other universities, governmental labs, industry, etc.
Physical DemandsMust be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours).
Working ConditionsMonday through Friday, 40 hour work week with flexible hours.
Essential PersonnelRice University Standard of CivilityServes as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.
Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/21327 Job Functions
Essential FunctionsAdditional Functions or Information Job Duties
Job Duty NameEssential FunctionsDescription of Job Duty- Advises the Principal Investigator (PI) on administrative requirements in proposal preparation, and ensures guidelines are followed for proposal formatting and submission requirements
- Develops and finalizes budgets and budget justifications with the PI
- Prepares forms for cost sharing, if applicable
- Monitors compliance with agency and University regulations regarding submission; verifies all financial information
- Ensures Subcontract statements of work, budget, and budget justification are received and approved by the PI
- Verifies Cayuse record is complete and accurate and works with OSR for submission to sponsor
- Coordinates and reviews account setup; reviews, tracks and approves expenditures; monitors budgets; provides data for financial and progress reports as needed
- Works with faculty to ensure all charges are allocated properly
- Identifies the need for and requests no-cost extensions
- Participates in account close out activities
- Serves as a liaison with OSR and RCA
- Manages and maintains records, files and reports
- Assists faculty with report preparation
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Job Duty NameJob Specific FunctionsDescription of Job Duty- Assists with purchasing of equipment, supplies, and travel, and ensures compliance with Sponsor requirements
- Organizes visits by Sponsors as required
- Assists with visa applications and Visitor Portal entry as needed
- Schedules visits and assists with travel arrangements for research-related travel
- Books rooms, schedules meetings, and plans meetings and events as required
- Maintains student records and provides general administrative
- Coordinates with Rice’s Office of STEM Engagement for activity budgeting and reporting
- Completes Faculty Information System reporting
Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
Supplemental QuestionsRequired fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree or additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement?
- * Do you have three years of related experience in grant proposal development and submission and financial management? You may substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.
- * What is the minimum salary that you require for this position? Please indicate a yearly salary amount. (Open Ended Question)
- customer service