- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Instituto del Progreso Latino is a community organization whose mission is to contribute to the fullest development of Latino(a) immigrants and their families through education, training and employment that fosters participation in the changing U.S. society while preserving cultural identity and dignity. Founded in 1977 to help Latino’s learn basic skills, pass the civil service exam and obtain higher paying post office jobs, Instituto has grown to a flourishing educational center serving over 14,000 Chicago families per year.
The Senior Accountant works directly with the Controller and the accounting staff to ensure the integrity of all the accounting by Instituto.
As a Senior Accountant, you will be responsible for preparing monthly journal entries, account reconciliations, and financial statements, as well as assisting in the year-end audit and the submission of all compliance reporting associated with Instituto.
Ideal candidates bring a minimum of 3-5 years in related not-for-profit and/or public accounting experience (serving not-for-profit clients and or charter schools), plus a strong collaborative and customer-focused spirit.
- Work as part of the Finance Team to accomplish organizational goals.
- Assist the Controller to accomplish departmental goals.
- Prepare the month-end close, which includes preparing monthly journal entries, account reconciliations and financial statements for Instituto and assigned schools.
- Provide analytical reports and data, and work with stakeholders to review and discuss results, as needed.
- Assist in preparing year-end financial statements and requirements for the annual audit process.
- Assist in preparing the yearly budget, as needed. Includes working individually with departmental managers to obtain and review data submitted or revised.
- Assist the Controller with special projects and other duties as required (e.g., implementation of new accounting standards, new software implementation, etc.).
- Respond to various financial reporting-related inquiries from management and other departments
- Review A/P bills for proper project code and account classification.
- Preparation of compliance reports.
Qualifications - Requirements:
- 3-5 years of related not-for-profit experience and/or public accounting experience serving not-for-profit or charter school clients
- Knowledge of Non-Profit accounting, finance, budgeting, and cost principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Knowledge of financial and accounting software applications
- General knowledge of federal and state financial regulations
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
- Experience using Intacct accounting software is a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work as a team player and to work independently, requiring minimal supervision
- Above average “customer” service attitude
- Ability to adhere to deadlines, be resourceful, manage conflict and challenges
- Strong project management skills
- Skills with Microsoft Office, Excel and other software systems
- Professional presentation and demeanor
Qualifications – Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or Finance required. CPA and CPA candidates strongly preferred.
Submit cover letter with resume, salary expectations, a completed application (located on our Careers page), and any other information listed above as “additional attachments” when you apply.
Instituto del Progreso Latino is an Equal Opportunity Employer.