- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- New York City
Founded in 2008, Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can belong through healthy travel that is local, authentic, diverse, inclusive and sustainable. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. Airbnb’s accommodation marketplace provides access to 5+ million unique places to stay in more than 81,000 cities and 191 countries. With Experiences, Airbnb offers unprecedented access to local communities and interests through 15,000 unique, handcrafted activities run by hosts across 1,000+ cities around the world. Airbnb’s people-to-people platform benefits all its stakeholders, including hosts, guests, employees and the communities in which it operates.
The Senior Communications Manager, Corporate & Policy, US East is responsible for leading Airbnb’s policy and corporate communications strategy for the region and acting as the company’s voice on a range of topics including government regulation, taxes and legal matters in the Eastern United States (focus on Southeast and parts of the Midwest).
As a global company, Senior Communications Manager, Corporate & Policy, US East will have important responsibilities vis-a-vis both their local and global teams. While the core focus of the role is to support the company’s policy objectives in the Southeast and Midwest, this person is also an integral part of the Global Communications operation. To this end, the Senior Communications Manager, Corporate & Policy, US East is also responsible for driving narratives that align with messaging to support national/company-wide initiatives (namely consumer and production communications specific to the region).
This is a full-time role is based in New York City, NY (Washington, DC could be considered) and reports to the Head of Americas Public Affairs.
- Provide guidance and support to the Eastern United States policy managers and policy team on all communications matters
- Develop a clear and thorough communications plan and cadence for major markets across the region, in addition to other markets throughout the Eastern United States on an as-needed basis
- Identify proactive press opportunities in support of legislative and policy priorities (i.e. moving a bill forward, demonstrating the impact of a tax agreement, outlining our policy positions)
- Manage all aspects of reactive press requests and ensure utilization of all tools available (data, industry research, host stories, etc.) to defend Airbnb’s community and brand
- Develop written materials (story pitches, messaging guidelines, Q&As, briefs, presentations, speeches, etc.) and manage approval process with Regional Public Affairs Lead
- Identify opportunities for op-eds by Airbnb principals and third-party allies
- Help prepare Airbnb spokespeople (campaign managers, country managers, Airbnb execs etc.) for public speaking engagements, media interviews, etc. in the Eastern United States region
- Develop and manage relationships with key reporters in market
- Manage relationships and day-to-day work of Eastern US communications consultants
- Work with other members of the Public Affairs and Public Relations teams for feedback and guidance on best strategies in specific markets and situations
- Identify proactive press opportunities and drive national/global announcements, in support of policy, corporate and consumer communications goals
- Identify and drive executive communications opportunities when appropriate and relevant and serve as primary POC with Exec Comms and collaborate on tick-tock, briefing materials, logistics, etc. [in region]
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10+ years PR/Public Affairs experience, either working in an agency or in-house; preference to those with political campaign experience
- Good knowledge of public policy matters - more specifically relating to housing, technology, or the sharing economy
- Proven-track record working on communications initiatives involving policy matters
- Ability to work collaboratively with multi-functional leads in a matrix organization
- Excellent writing skills with samples to share
- Passion for Airbnb and the mission of the company
- Experience working on projects in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong verbal communications and interpersonal skills
- Maintaining enthusiasm and calm demeanor in stressful situations