- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
The Senior Counsel provides a full range of legal advice and services. The Senior Counsel works on problems of diverse scope and complexity ranging from moderate to substantial.Responsibilities
The Senior Counsel typically a Legal generalist or provides counsel in a combination of disciplines. Advises executives to develop functional strategies (often segment specific) on matters of significance. Exercises independent judgment and decision making on complex issues regarding job duties and related tasks, and works under minimal supervision, Uses independent judgment requiring analysis of variable factors and determining the best course of action.
Humana is seeking a passionate, collaborative and driven Data Privacy (HIPAA) Attorney. This is a key position within the Law Department that will support the team primarily responsible for legal advice in the areas of data privacy, data security and cyber security.
Join the Humana Privacy Team and serve as legal counsel and subject matter expert on privacy, data security and cyber matters throughout Humana's family of companies. Use innovative and strategic legal thinking to provide privacy, security and cyber legal advice and counsel to business and operational units in support of programs, processes and initiatives that are redefining the way that healthcare is delivered. Focus extensively on issues involving privacy, data ethics, data governance, data analytics and cyber security, collaborating with teams throughout the organization. The scope of the work will require the successful candidate to interface with various levels of management and staff, data privacy regulators, legal department peers, and outside counsel.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- The position will focus on data privacy and security law and compliance. It will involve providing legal counsel to a wide range of groups across Humana that touch on personal data.
- Provide legal advice on privacy and security incidents including notifications to regulators and individuals.
- Engage with privacy regulators as may be required
- Review and negotiate privacy and data protection terms with clients and vendors, including Business Associate Agreements and GDPR addendums.
- Provide counsel on a wide variety of data privacy matters, including government requirements, industry and client requirements, and best practices.
- Act as subject matter expert for privacy laws and regulations, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), the CAN-SPAM Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and various State privacy regulations.
- Collaborate with Legal, HR, Procurement, and other senior leaders on privacy-related matters.
- Juris Doctor and bar admission.
- Five or more years of legal experience in a cybersecurity and/or privacy role.
- Ability to communicate and discuss technical concepts at many levels, from IT professionals to those without a background in technology.
- Must have data protection/privacy/cyber liability experience.
- Significant experience managing large, high profile information incidents and security breaches.
- Experience interacting with state regulators, federal regulators, clients and customers with respect to information incidents, audits or other privacy or information protection related inquiries.
- Strong, independent decision-making ability.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to compile and analyze regulatory and business information, assess risk, and provide resolutions or recommendations for process improvement
- Highly collaborative individual with ability to influence others and build strong professional relationships.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills a must
Scheduled Weekly Hours