- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary $93,605.00 - $106,675.00 gross per year
- Long Beach
The salary in the Department of Water and Power is $106,675 (flat-rated).
- Annual salary is at the start of the pay range. The current salary range is subject to change. Please confirm the starting salary with the hiring department before accepting a job offer.
- For information regarding reciprocity between the City of Los Angeles departments and LADWP, go to http://per.lacity.org/Reciprocity_CityDepts_and_DWP.pdf.
A Sheet Metal Worker performs skilled work in layout, fabrication, assembly, installation and repair of a variety of sheet metal parts and equipment including commercial truck parts and panels, boxes, lockers, cabinets, shelves, table tops, sinks, range hoods, rain gutters, downspouts, flashings, fluid tanks and air-conditioning ventilating ducts; and in the maintenance, installation, adjustment and repair of duct work, filters, blowers and forced-air heating, cooling and ventilating control devices and systems; occasionally performs arc, gas, and MIG welding; and calibrates pneumatic controls and performs air balancing.
1. Completion of a recognized apprenticeship as a sheet metal worker;or
2. Five years of full-time paid experience in sheet metal work.
- Applicants who lack six months or less of the required experience may file for this examination.However, they cannot be appointed until the full experience requirement is met.
- A valid California driver's license is required. Applicants will be disqualified and not eligible for hire if their record within the last 36 months reflects three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents, or a conviction of a major moving violation (such as DUI).
- Applicants filing under Requirement Number 1 must submit a copy of their apprenticeship certificate at the time of filing.The certificate must be attached to the on-line application BEFORE the application is submitted. If the certificate is attached AFTER the on-line application has been submitted, applicants WILL NOT be credited with having submitted the certificate, and WILL NOT be considered further in this examination.
- Based on City Policy, you may be required to undergo mandatory drug and alcohol testing prior to and during employment in this class.
- Based on California Code of Regulations, all incumbents are required to wear a Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) under hazardous and emergency conditions. Therefore, all employees in this class must be able to wear the SCBA in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Incumbents of some positions in this class may be required to pass an annual or periodic work fitness evaluation to determine their eligibility for continued employment in this class.
WHERE TO APPLY & APPLICATION DEADLINE
Applications will only be accepted on-line. When you are viewing the on-line job bulletin of your choice,simply scroll to the top of the page and select the "Apply" icon.On-line job bulletins are also available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacity.
Applicants are urged to apply early to ensure you have time to resolve any technical issues you may encounter.
Applications must be received by THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2019.
In accordance with Civil Service Rule 4.2, all applicants who apply may not be tested in this examination. To meet anticipated hiring needs, only a limited number of qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the selection process in the following order: 1) Los Angeles City Promotional applicants who meet the minimum requirements. You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to apply for this examination as a promotional candidate; 2) Applicants currently employed by the City of Los Angeles on a part-time or exempt basis who meet the minimum requirements; 3) Remaining applicants who meet the minimum requirements in sufficient numbers to meet hiring needs based on a random sampling of those qualified candidates. Applications submitted during the filing period may be kept on file in the event that additional applicants need to be tested to meet hiring needs.
The examination will consist entirely of a weighted multiple-choice test administered and proctored on-line. In the on-line multiple-choice test, the following competencies may be evaluated: Reading Comprehension, Interpersonal Skills, Follow Written Directions, Mathematics, including geometry and arithmetic; Safety Focus, including safety practices and procedures applicable to sheet metal work activities; Job Knowledge, including knowledge of: the equipment, machinery, and tools used in sheet metal work; practices and procedures used in pattern development and drafting; the practices and procedures of soldering and riveting; the application and interpretation of blueprints and drawings pertaining to sheet metal work; the various types of seams; and other necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
Additional job analysis information can be obtained by going to http://per.lacity.org/index.cfm?content=jobanalyses and clicking on Competencies under Sheet Metal Worker.
The multiple-choice test will be proctored and administered on-line during a single session. Candidates invited to participate in the on-line multiple-choice test will be able to take the test from a remote location (i.e., their home) using a computer with a webcam and a reliable internet connection. Candidates will receive an e-mail from the City of Los Angeles outlining the dates and specific steps on how to take the multiple-choice test on-line. It is anticipated that the remote proctored multiple-choice test will be administered between TUESDAY, JANUARY 14, 2020 and TUESDAY, JANUARY 21, 2020. Candidates who do not complete and submit the remote proctored multiple-choice test on-line using a computer by the specified date and time will not be considered further in this examination.
FAQs for on-line testing are available at http://per.lacity.org/index.cfm?content=employmenttestingprocess. Candidates who do not have the required equipment may have the option to take the qualifying multiple-choice test onsite at a City facility.
- This examination is based on a validation study.
- As a covered entity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and, upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. To request a disability accommodation, please complete the Disability Accommodation Form within 14 calendar days of the submittal of the City application. The Disability Accommodation Form can be obtained at http://per.lacity.org/exams/verify_disability.pdf.
- Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
- Based on City policy, you may be required to undergo mandatory drug and alcohol testing prior to and during employment in this class.
- In conjunction with Civil Service Rules, applicants who have received a regular appointment to a City position or are on a reserve list will be considered Promotional candidates while all other applicants will be considered Open candidates.
- The promotional list will ordinarily be used ahead of the open competitive list. However, if open competitive candidates receive a higher score, without military credits, than the highest available promotional candidate, after adding seniority credit at the rate of 0.25 of a point for each year of continuous classified City service, the Civil Service Commission, upon request of the appointing authority, may approve certification of such open competitive candidates ahead of the promotional candidates.
- A final average score of 70% or higher is required to be placed on the eligible list.
- In accordance with Civil Service Rule, Sec. 4.24, review periods may be combined. Candidates in the examination process may file protests as provided in Sec. 4.20, 4.22 and 4.23 as applicable and within the required time frame; however, the Personnel Department may respond to and resolve protests prior to the establishment of the eligible list.
- If in accordance with the Rule of Three Whole Scores all applicants are eligible for appointment consideration, the examination will consist entirely of an evaluation of the candidates' City employment application by Personnel Department staff to ensure that the minimum requirements are met.
If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employee benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original regular appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position. All City employees are required to be Disaster Service Workers.
THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN BOTH ON ANINTERDEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL AND AN OPEN COMPETITIVE BASIS
The City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed, color, ancestry, medical condition (cancer), or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.