- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Software Process Improvement Engineer
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailShare to Google BookmarkGoogle Bookmark
- Job: 21228-TTER
- Location: US-MA-Natick
- Department: Development University
Do you thrive on helping people improve the way they do their work every day? Does coaching, mentoring, and training people and seeing them succeed excite you? Do you have software development experience? If so, look no further.
As a Software Process Improvement Specialist, you will help MathWorks Software Development teams learn, adopt and leverage Lean process improvement methods, tools, and activities. We partner with Software Development managers and staff to continuously improve the processes, practices and skills used to develop our products.
You will lead process improvement efforts using methods and tools like; root cause analysis (5 Why’s), countermeasure implementation, kaizen events, A3, value streams, process documentation, change management, and other Lean methods. Based on your experiences, you will help strategize and improve the way we do continuous improvement throughout the organization as well as develop and deliver self-serve and instructor-led training.
Our group works cross-functionally on a wide variety of projects, at every stage of the project lifecycle. The ideal candidate will have will have experience working with SDLC, combine a passion for process improvement and software development, with excellence in verbal and written communication, creativity, initiative, and resourcefulness. A proven ability to drive complex cross-functional projects to decisive completion is strongly desired.
- Develop a deep understanding of process improvement philosophies, practices and tools at MathWorks, as well as related industry concepts. Provide expert consultancy to internal Software Development teams on an ad hoc as well as formal basis. Help strategize and improve the way we do continuous improvement throughout the organization.
- Facilitate process improvement efforts using methods and tools within the Lean toolkit (e.g. problem definition, value stream mapping, KPI design, root cause analysis – 5 Why’s, etc.)
- Facilitate organizational adoption of approved processes, tools and resources. Produce change management plans and resources that rollout new best practices and help staff members successfully adopt them. Evaluate and report-out on progress against business drivers and related metrics/KPIs.
- Drive the development of new content including processes, methods, learning resources, references, and tools. Pilot content and assess against defined measures of success.
- Develop creative ways to support the Development organization’s growth and learning. Create self-serve resources, teach formal classes, and facilitate informal groups and events. Evaluate impact with Kirkpatrick Level 1-4 evaluations.
- Identify internal experts and ensure key knowledge is captured and shared. Continuously catalog and promote user-created documentation and resources
- A bachelor's degree and 7 years of professional work experience (or a master's degree and 5 years of professional work experience, or a PhD degree) is required.
- Bachelors or Masters degree related to Engineering, Software Development or related field(s) is required.
- Experience as an agile coach, developer, or QA working with software engineering teams is required.
- Demonstrated track record of helping to improve software development processes is required.
- Exceptional communication skills including clear and concise writing, an engaging presentation style, and strong group facilitation skills is required.
- Strong project management skills and experience initiating and driving cross-functional projects are required.
- 3+ years of professional work experience preferably in software industry is desirable.
- Experience developing and delivering learning resources, formal and informal, is desirable.
- Experience working cross-functionally, especially as a consultant with internal clients or subject matter experts, is a plus.
- Formal certification is a plus.
Why MathWorks?It’s the chance to collaborate with bright, passionate people. It’s contributing to software products that make a difference in the world. And it’s being part of a company with an incredible commitment to doing the right thing – for each individual, our customers, and the local community.
MathWorks develops MATLAB and Simulink, the leading technical computing software used by engineers and scientists. The company employs 4000 people in 16 countries, with headquarters in Natick, Massachusetts, U.S.A. MathWorks is privately held and has been profitable every year since its founding in 1984.
Contact us if you need reasonable accommodation because of a disability in order to apply for a position.
The MathWorks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. View The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement.
The pay transparency policy is available here.
MathWorks participates in E-Verify. View the E-Verify posters here.
About the company
At MathWorks, we express who we are as an organization through our guiding principle, our mission, and our core values. Developed over time, each represents a philosophy or goal that is intrinsically important to the organization.